The regional public spending for tourism in Italy: an empirical analysis
In this paper, we analyse the effects of public spending for tourism in the twenty Italian regions. The evaluation is made possible by the availability of the databank under the project ‘Conti Pubblici Territoriali’ (‘Regional Public Account’) of the Ministry of Economic Development, wherein the spending of all public institutions is aggregated for each region, and it is also classified according to different criteria, including the sectoral criterion. We take a cross-sectional regression analysis approach, and the effects of public spending for tourism on tourism attraction are investigated. Generally speaking, the effectiveness of public spending appears to be weak.
|Date of creation:||01 Nov 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Corso Italia 55, 95129 - Catania, Italy|
Web page: http://www.demq.unict.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Romp, Ward & de Haan, Jakob, 2005.
"Public capital and economic growth: a critical survey,"
2/2005, European Investment Bank, Economics Department.
- Ward Romp & Jakob de Haan, 2007. "Public Capital and Economic Growth: A Critical Survey," Perspektiven der Wirtschaftspolitik, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 8(s1), pages 6-52, 04.
- A. Lanza & F. Pigliaru, 1999. "Why Are Tourism Countries Small and Fast-Growing?," Working Paper CRENoS 199906, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Aschauer, David Alan, 1989.
"Is public expenditure productive?,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 177-200, March.
- Miriam A. Golden & Lucio Picci, 2005. "Proposal For A New Measure Of Corruption, Illustrated With Italian Data," Economics and Politics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17, pages 37-75, 03.
- Roberto Cellini & Guido Candela, 2004.
"Investment in Tourism Market: A Dynamic Model of Differentiated Oligopoly,"
2004.20, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Guido Candela & Roberto Cellini, 2006. "Investment in Tourism Market: A Dynamic Model of Differentiated Oligopoly," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 35(1), pages 41-58, September.
- R. Brau & A. Lanza & F. Pigliaru, 2003. "How fast are tourism countries growing? The cross country evidence," Working Paper CRENoS 200309, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Rinaldo Brau & Alessandro Lanza & Francesco Pigliaru, 2003. "How Fast are the Tourism Countries Growing? The cross-country evidence," Working Papers 2003.85, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Torrisi, Gianpiero, 2009. "Public infrastructure: definition, classification and measurement issues," MPRA Paper 12990, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:demqwp:2010_010. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gianluca Cafiso)or (Luigi Bonaventura)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.