Utilizing the Multiple Mirror Technique to Assess the Quality of Cambodian Trade Statistics
This paper assesses the quality of Cambodia’s export and import statistics by comparing them with the statistics of its trade partners. The paper identifies inaccuracies in trade statistics caused by two types of misclassifications: commodity misclassification and direction misclassification. We will thoroughly examine products that are misclassified as different (but similar) products as well as goods to or from a particular country that are misclassified as goods to or from another country. A single bilateral mirror comparison, which is common in the existing literature, does not tell us much about the manner in which misclassifications are committed. Even if we observe a large discrepancy in certain traded commodities between two sides, we cannot immediately conclude which side has generated the inaccurate statistic. In order to overcome this problem, the paper will use the multiple mirror comparison technique. By comparing the results of various bilateral mirror analyses of trade statistics, we can identify which direction and commodity misclassifications have been committed by Cambodia.
|Date of creation:||01 Oct 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: (63-2) 636-2648
Web page: http://www.adb.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Javorcik, Beata & Narciso, Gaia, 2008.
"Differentiated Products and Evasion of Import Tariffs,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6804, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Javorcik, Beata S. & Narciso, Gaia, 2008. "Differentiated products and evasion of import tariffs," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 76(2), pages 208-222, December.
- Javorcik, Beata S. & Narciso, Gaia, 2007. "Differentiated products and evasion of import tariffs," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4123, The World Bank.
- Zafar Mahmood & Mohammad Azhar, 2001. "On Overinvoicing of Exports in Pakistan," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 40(3), pages 173-185.
- Basim Makhoul & Samuel Otterstrom, 1998. "Exploring the accuracy of international trade statistics," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(12), pages 1603-1616.
- Pomfret, Richard & Sourdin, Patricia, 2009. "Have Asian trade agreements reduced trade costs?," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 255-268, May.
- David Hummels & Volodymyr Lugovskyy, 2006. "Are Matched Partner Trade Statistics a Usable Measure of Transportation Costs?," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(1), pages 69-86, 02.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:adbrei:0088. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ivan B. de Leon)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.