Evaluating the Contributions of Regional Trade Agreements to Governance of Services Trade
Since the early 1990s, regional trade agreements (RTAs) covering trade in services have proliferated, with 95 RTAs on services notified to the World Trade Organization (WTO) under Article V of the General Agreement on Trade in Services (GATS), as of June 2011. This paper discusses how RTAs support or debilitate the GATS in its governance function as the keeper of rules and liberalization commitments on services trade for WTO members. It addresses this question and its implications for governance by focusing on four different issues: architecture; compliance; ability to promote reforms; and actual impact of RTAs in fostering services trade.
|Date of creation:||30 Aug 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kasumigaseki Building 8F, 3-2-5, Kasumigaseki, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 100-6008, Japan|
Fax: (81-3) 3593-5571
Web page: http://www.adbi.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Henrik Horn & Petros C. Mavroidis & André Sapir, 2010.
"Beyond the WTO? An Anatomy of EU and US Preferential Trade Agreements,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(11), pages 1565-1588, November.
- Henrik Horn & Petros C. Mavroidis & André Sapir, . "Beyond the WTO? An anatomy of EU and US preferential trade agreements," Blueprints, Bruegel, number 238, June.
- André Sapir & Henrik H. Horn & Petros Mavroidis, 2011. "Beyond the WTO ?An Anatomy of EU and US Preferential Trade Agreements," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/174320, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Horn, Henrik & Mavroidis, Petros C & Sapir, André, 2009. "Beyond the WTO? An Anatomy of EU and US Preferential Trade Agreements," CEPR Discussion Papers 7317, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- André Sapir & Henrik H. Horn & Petros Mavroidis, 2009. "Beyond the WTO ?An Anatomy of EU and US Preferential Trade Agreements," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/174283, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- André Sapir & Henrik H. Horn & Petros Mavroidis, 2010. "Beyond the WTO ?An Anatomy of EU and US Preferential Trade Agreements," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/174319, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Kawai, Masahiro & Wignaraja, Ganeshan, 2011. "Asian FTAs: Trends, prospects and challenges," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 1-22, February.
- Crawford, Jo-Ann & Fiorentino, Roberto V., 2005. "The changing landscape of regional trade agreements," WTO Discussion Papers 8, World Trade Organization (WTO), Economic Research and Statistics Division.
- Cadot, Olivier & Estevadeordal, Antoni & Suwa-Eisenmann, Akiko & Verdier, Thierry (ed.), 2006. "The Origin of Goods: Rules of Origin in Regional Trade Agreements," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199290482, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:adbiwp:0307. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marc Benger)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.