Importance of the Non-financial Value Added of Government and Independent Venture Capitalists
This paper compares the post-investment value-added activities performed by governmental venture capital (GVC) and independent venture capital (IVC) for their portfolio companies, and controls for the selection effect that the different investment profiles of these investors might have on the forms of value added. The study uses a unique data set based on a survey addressed to new VC-backed, technology-based firms from seven European countries. The study focused on the importance of the contribution by the first lead investor in a variety of activity areas, as assessed by the investee companies. The study also pays attention to potential adverse effects of the post-investment engagement of the investors on the firm. Using a composite indicator of the extent of the value added, we find no statistically significant difference between the two types of investors. However, the type of value added differs across investor type and, in particular, IVCs contribution proves to be significantly higher than that of GVCs in a number of areas, including the development of the business idea, professionalisation and exit orientation.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +358 (0)9 609 900
Fax: +358 (0)9 601 753
Web page: http://www.etla.fi/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gorman, Michael & Sahlman, William A., 1989. "What do venture capitalists do?," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 231-248, July.
- Dorothea Schäfer & Dirk Schilder, 2006.
"Informed Capital in a Hostile Environment: The Case of Relational Investors in Germany,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
549, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Schäfer, Dorothea & Schilder, Dirk, 2006. "Informed capital in a hostile environment: the case of relational investors in Germany," Freiberg Working Papers 2006,03, TU Bergakademie Freiberg, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Denis, David J., 2004. "Entrepreneurial finance: an overview of the issues and evidence," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 301-326, March.
- Tykvova, Tereza & Walz, Uwe, 2007. "How important is participation of different venture capitalists in German IPOs?," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 350-378, 03.
- Bottazzi, L. & Da Rin, M. & Hellmann, T., 2008.
"Who are the active investors? Evidence from venture capital,"
Other publications TiSEM
9336411f-ac48-4fad-8a2c-d, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Bottazzi, Laura & Da Rin, Marco & Hellmann, Thomas, 2008. "Who are the active investors?: Evidence from venture capital," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(3), pages 488-512, September.
- L. Bottazzi & M. Da Rin & T. Hellmann, 2007. "Who are the active investors? Evidence from Venture Capital," Working Papers 611, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Schilder, Dirk, 2006. "Public venture capital in Germany: task force or forced task?," Freiberg Working Papers 2006,12, TU Bergakademie Freiberg, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Masako Ueda, 2004. "Banks versus Venture Capital: Project Evaluation, Screening, and Expropriation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 59(2), pages 601-621, 04.
- Fabio Bertoni & Massimo Colombo & Luca Grilli, 2013. "Venture capital investor type and the growth mode of new technology-based firms," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 40(3), pages 527-552, April.
- Knockaert, M. & Lockett, A. & Clarysse, B. & Wright, M., 2005.
"Do human capital and fund characteristics drive follow-up behaviour of early stage high tech vcs?,"
Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School Working Paper Series
2005-20, Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School.
- M. Knockaert & A. Lockett & B. Clarysse & M. Wright, 2005. "Do human capital and fund characteristics drive follow-up behaviour of early stage high tech VCs?," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 05/325, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Sapienza, Harry J. & Manigart, Sophie & Vermeir, Wim, 1996. "Venture capitalist governance and value added in four countries," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 11(6), pages 439-469, November.
- James A. Brander & Edward Egan & Thomas F. Hellmann, 2010.
"Government Sponsored versus Private Venture Capital: Canadian Evidence,"
in: International Differences in Entrepreneurship, pages 275-320
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James A. Brander & Edward Egan & Thomas F. Hellmann, 2008. "Government Sponsored versus Private Venture Capital: Canadian Evidence," NBER Working Papers 14029, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Higashide, Hironori & Birley, Sue, 2002. "The consequences of conflict between the venture capitalist and the entrepreneurial team in the United Kingdom from the perspective of the venture capitalist," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 59-81, January.
- Elango, B. & Fried, Vance H. & Hisrich, Robert D. & Polonchek, Amy, 1995. "How venture capital firms differ," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 157-179, March.
- Laura Lindsey, 2008. "Blurring Firm Boundaries: The Role of Venture Capital in Strategic Alliances," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 63(3), pages 1137-1168, 06.
- Hellmann, Thomas, 2002. "A theory of strategic venture investing," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 285-314, May.
- Siegel, Robin & Siegel, Eric & MacMillan, Ian C., 1988. "Corporate venture capitalists: Autonomy, obstacles, and performance," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 233-247.
- Sapienza, Harry J., 1992. "When do venture capitalists add value?," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 9-27, January.
- David H. Hsu, 2006. "Venture Capitalists and Cooperative Start-up Commercialization Strategy," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 52(2), pages 204-219, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rif:dpaper:1257. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kaija Hyvönen-Rajecki)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.