In search theory, an important distinction can be drawn between models with competitive search and with random search; empirical work on job search models overwhelmingly assume random search. This paper uses linked register data on workers and rms to explore patterns of wages at job to job transitions. We argue that models with random search provide insufficient structure to match the tight correspondence in the data between the rm wage in the old and the new job. In an archetypical model with directed on-the-job search, we nd that the pure job ladder equilibrium of this model is also unable to account for observed wage patterns, this time by predicting too little variation in the conditional distribution of new wages after a job change. Next, we present a model where workers and firms meet through both directed and undirected search; we call this mixed search. This model is qualitatively consistent with patterns of wages across job-to-job transitions with wage gains. To account for wage cuts at job-to-job transitions, an extended model version makes search behavior contingent on realized match specific productivity, revealed to workers and firms after the match is formed.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Society for Economic Dynamics Marina Azzimonti Department of Economics Stonybrook University 10 Nicolls Road Stonybrook NY 11790 USA|
Web page: http://www.EconomicDynamics.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Postel-Vinay, Fabien & Robin, Jean-Marc, 2002.
"Equilibrium Wage Dispersion with Worker and Employer Heterogeneity,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3548, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Fabien Postel-Vinay & Jean-Marc Robin, 2002. "Equilibrium Wage Dispersion with Worker and Employer Heterogeneity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(6), pages 2295-2350, November.
- Fabien Postel-Vinay & Jean-Marc Robin, 2002. "Equilibrium wage dispersion with worker and employer heterogeneity," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/dc0ckec3fcb, Sciences Po.
- Fabien Postel-Vinay & Jean-Marc Robin, 2002. "Equilibrium Wage Dispersion with Worker and Employer Heterogeneity," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00357751, HAL.
- Fabien Postel-Vinay & Jean-Marc Robin, 2002. "Equilibrium Wage Dispersion with Worker and Employer Heterogeneity," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/c8dmi8nm4pd, Sciences Po.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:red:sed013:857. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Zimmermann)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.