Asset Pricing with Heterogeneous Investors and Portfolio Constraints
We evaluate the impact of portfolio constraints on financial markets in a dynamic equilibrium pure exchange economy with one consumption good and two CRRA investors that may differ in risk aversions, beliefs regarding the dividend process and portfolio constraints. Despite numerous applications, portfolio constraints are notoriously difficult to incorporate into dynamic equilibrium analysis without the restrictive assumption of logarithmic preferences. We provide a tractable solution method that yields new insights on the asset pricing implications of portfolio constraints such as limited stock market participation, margin requirements and short sales prohibition without restricting risk aversion parameters. We demonstrate that in a setting where one investor is unconstrained while the other faces an upper bound constraint on the proportion of wealth that can be invested in stocks the model generates countercyclical market prices of risk and stock return volatilities, procyclical price-dividend ratios, excess volatility and other patterns consistent with empirical findings. In a setting with margin requirements we demonstrate that under plausible parameters tighter constraints decrease stock return volatilities during the times when the constraints are likely to bind.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Society for Economic Dynamics Marina Azzimonti Department of Economics Stonybrook University 10 Nicolls Road Stonybrook NY 11790 USA|
Web page: http://www.EconomicDynamics.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gomes, Francisco J & Michaelides, Alexander, 2007.
"Asset Pricing with Limited Risk Sharing and Heterogeneous Agents,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6136, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Francisco Gomes & Alexander Michaelides, 2008. "Asset Pricing with Limited Risk Sharing and Heterogeneous Agents," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 21(1), pages 415-448, January.
- Francisco Gomes & Alexander Michaelides, 2005. "Asset pricing with limited risk sharing and heterogeneous agents," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 24649, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Yili Chien & Harold Cole & Hanno Lustig, 2011.
"A Multiplier Approach to Understanding the Macro Implications of Household Finance,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 78(1), pages 199-234.
- YiLi Chien & Harold Cole & Hanno Lustig, 2007. "A Multiplier Approach to Understanding the Macro Implications of Household Finance," NBER Working Papers 13555, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zapatero, Fernando, 1998. "Effects of financial innovations on market volatility when beliefs are heterogeneous," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 597-626, April.
- Lars Ljungqvist & Thomas J. Sargent, 2004. "Recursive Macroeconomic Theory, 2nd Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 2, volume 1, number 026212274x, September.
- Bernard Dumas & Pascal Maenhout, 2002. "A Central-Planning Approach to Dynamic Incomplete-Market Equilibrium," Levine's Working Paper Archive 391749000000000523, David K. Levine.
- Epstein, Larry G & Zin, Stanley E, 1989. "Substitution, Risk Aversion, and the Temporal Behavior of Consumption and Asset Returns: A Theoretical Framework," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(4), pages 937-969, July.
- Dumas, Bernard J & Kurshev, Alexander & Uppal, Raman, 2007.
"Equilibrium Portfolio Strategies in the Presence of Sentiment Risk and Excess Volatility,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6455, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bernard Dumas & Alexander Kurshev & Raman Uppal, 2009. "Equilibrium Portfolio Strategies in the Presence of Sentiment Risk and Excess Volatility," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 64(2), pages 579-629, 04.
- Bernard Dumas & Alexander Kurshev & Raman Uppal, 2007. "Equilibrium Portfolio Strategies in the Presence of Sentiment Risk and Excess Volatility," NBER Working Papers 13401, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Yeung Lewis Chan & Leonid Kogan, 2002. "Catching Up with the Joneses: Heterogeneous Preferences and the Dynamics of Asset Prices," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 110(6), pages 1255-1285, December.
- Basak, Suleyman, 2000. "A model of dynamic equilibrium asset pricing with heterogeneous beliefs and extraneous risk," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 63-95, January.
- Costas Xiouros & Fernando Zapatero, 2010. "The Representative Agent of an Economy with External Habit Formation and Heterogeneous Risk Aversion," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 23(8), pages 3017-3047, August.
- Fatih Guvenen, 2009.
"A Parsimonious Macroeconomic Model for Asset Pricing,"
Econometric Society, vol. 77(6), pages 1711-1750, November.
- Fatih Guvenen, 2009. "A Parsimonious Macroeconomic Model for Asset Pricing," NBER Working Papers 15243, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fatih Guvenen, 2009. "A parsimonious macroeconomic model for asset pricing," Staff Report 434, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Julien Hugonnier, 2008. "Bubbles and multiplicity of equilibria under portfolio constraints," Swiss Finance Institute Research Paper Series 08-28, Swiss Finance Institute.
- Basak, Suleyman, 2005. "Asset pricing with heterogeneous beliefs," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(11), pages 2849-2881, November.
- Gikas A. Hardouvelis & Panayiotis Theodossiou, 2002. "The Asymmetric Relation Between Initial Margin Requirements and Stock Market Volatility Across Bull and Bear Markets," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 15(5), pages 1525-1560.
- Mele, Antonio, 2007. "Asymmetric stock market volatility and the cyclical behavior of expected returns," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 86(2), pages 446-478, November.
- Basak, Suleyman & Cuoco, Domenico, 1998. "An Equilibrium Model with Restricted Stock Market Participation," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 11(2), pages 309-341.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:red:sed012:636. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Zimmermann)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.