Rational Asset Pricing Bubbles Revisited
Price bubble arises when the price of an asset exceeds the asset's fundamental value, that is, the present value of future dividend payments. The important result of Santos and Woodford (1997) says that price bubbles cannot exist in equilibrium in the standard dynamic asset pricing model with rational agents as long as assets are in strictly positive supply and the present value of total future resources is finite. This paper explores the possibility of asset price bubbles when either one of the sufficient conditions for non-existence of bubbles is violated. We demonstrate that there always exist equilibria with price bubbles on assets in zero supply. Further, we show that endogenous debt constraints generated by limited enforcement of trade are in a certain sense most prone to give rise to equilibrium price bubbles on assets in strictly positive supply and with infinite present value of total resources.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.EconomicDynamics.org/society.htm
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kocherlakota, Narayana, 2008.
"Injecting rational bubbles,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 142(1), pages 218-232, September.
- Christian Hellwig & Guido Lorenzoni, 2006.
"Bubbles and Self-Enforcing Debt,"
NBER Working Papers
12614, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521586054 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bidian, Florin & Bejan, Camelia, 2011. "Martingale properties of self-enforcing debt," MPRA Paper 36609, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 12 Feb 2012.
- Eli Ofek & Matthew Richardson, 2003. "DotCom Mania: The Rise and Fall of Internet Stock Prices," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 58(3), pages 1113-1138, 06.
- Harrison, J Michael & Kreps, David M, 1978. "Speculative Investor Behavior in a Stock Market with Heterogeneous Expectations," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 92(2), pages 323-36, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:red:sed012:1165. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Zimmermann)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.