Injecting rational bubbles
This paper proves two theorems about economies with a finite number of infinitely lived agents who trade a complete set of one-period Arrow securities and several infinitely lived securities at each date, subject to short-sales constraints. The first theorem in the paper considers an equilibrium to an economy of this kind. It proves that there exists another economy with perturbed short-sales constraints in which there is an allocation-equivalent equilibrium in which asset prices have a bubble. The second theorem extends to the result to the case in short-sales constraints are endogenously determined in the sense of Alvarez and Jermann [Efficiency, equilibrium, and asset pricing with risk of default, Econometrica 68 (2000) 775-797].
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- YiLi Chien & Hanno Lustig, 2010.
"The Market Price of Aggregate Risk and the Wealth Distribution,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 23(4), pages 1596-1650, April.
- Hanno Lustig, 2001. "The Market Price of Aggregate Risk and the Wealth Distribution," Finance 0111004, EconWPA, revised 16 Nov 2001.
- Hanno Lustig, 2004. "The Market Price of Aggregate Risk and the Wealth Distribution," UCLA Economics Online Papers 299, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Hanno Lustig & Yi-Li Chien, 2005. "The Market Price of Aggregate Risk and the Wealth Distribution," NBER Working Papers 11132, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Timothy J. Kehoe & David K. Levine, 1992.
"Debt constrained asset markets,"
445, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Behzad T. Diba & Herschel I. Grossman, 1986.
"Rational Inflationary Bubbles,"
NBER Working Papers
2004, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nobuhiro Kiyotaki & John Moore, 1995.
NBER Working Papers
5083, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tirole, Jean, 1985. "Asset Bubbles and Overlapping Generations," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(6), pages 1499-1528, November.
- Manuel S. Santos & Michael Woodford, 1997.
"Rational Asset Pricing Bubbles,"
Econometric Society, vol. 65(1), pages 19-58, January.
- Woodford, Michael & Santos, Manuel S., 1995. "Rational asset pricing bubbles," UC3M Working papers. Economics 3913, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía.
- Manuel S. Santos & Michael Woodford, 1993. "Rational Asset Pricing Bubbles," Working Papers 9304, Centro de Investigacion Economica, ITAM.
- Fernando Alvarez & Urban J. Jermann, 2000. "Efficiency, Equilibrium, and Asset Pricing with Risk of Default," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 68(4), pages 775-798, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jetheo:v:142:y:2008:i:1:p:218-232. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.