Concepts and Measures of Agency
Agency is inescapably plural in both concept and measurement. In Sen’s account of agency, 1) agency is exercised with respect to goals the person values; 2) agency includes effective power as well as direct control; 3) agency may advance well-being or may address other-regarding goals; 4) to identify agency also entails an assessment of the value of the agent’s goals; 5) the agent’s responsibility for a state of affairs should be incorporated into his or her evaluation of it. This chapter refracts the literature on agency measurement through the first four of these characteristics, showing how particular survey-based measures of individual agency elucidate or obscure each distinction. It also observes that existing measures used in development tend to focus on control but not effective freedom, on goals the agent has reason to value rather than goals she values, and on own rather than other-regarding agency. The literature on measurement also raises a number of very relevant issues for the conceptual approach.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Queen Elizabeth House 3 Mansfield Road, Oxford, OX1 3TB United Kingdom|
Phone: +44 (1865) 281800
Fax: +44 (1865) 281801
Web page: http://ophi.qeh.ox.ac.uk/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Qizilbash, M., 1995.
Discussion Paper Series In Economics And Econometrics
9512, Economics Division, School of Social Sciences, University of Southampton.
- Sebastiano Bavetta & Marco Del Seta, 2001. "Constraints and the Measurement of Freedom of Choice," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 50(3), pages 213-238, May.
- Joseph Deutsch & Jacques Silber, 2005. "Measuring Multidimensional Poverty: An Empirical Comparison Of Various Approaches," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 51(1), pages 145-174, 03.
- Allison, R. Andrew & Foster, James E., 2004. "Measuring health inequality using qualitative data," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 505-524, May.
- Caterina Ruggeri Laderchi, Ruhi Saith and Frances Stewart, "undated".
"Does it matter that we don't agree on the definition of poverty? A comparison of four approaches,"
QEH Working Papers
qehwps107, Queen Elizabeth House, University of Oxford.
- Caterina Ruggeri Laderchi & Ruhi Saith & Frances Stewart, 2003. "Does it Matter that we do not Agree on the Definition of Poverty? A Comparison of Four Approaches," Oxford Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(3), pages 243-274.
- Baliamoune-Lutz, Mina N., 2004. "On the Measurement of Human Well-being: Fuzzy Set Theory and Sen's Capability Approach," WIDER Working Paper Series 016, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Gustav Ranis & Frances Stewart & Emma Samman, 2005.
"Human Development: Beyond the HDI,"
916, Economic Growth Center, Yale University.
- Sen, Amartya K, 1976. "Poverty: An Ordinal Approach to Measurement," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(2), pages 219-231, March.
- Ingrid Robeyns, 2005. "Selecting Capabilities for Quality of Life Measurement," Social Indicators Research: An International and Interdisciplinary Journal for Quality-of-Life Measurement, Springer, vol. 74(1), pages 191-215, October.
- Duclos, Jean-Yves & Sahn, David & Younger, Stephen D., 2001.
"Robust Multidimensional Poverty Comparisons,"
Cahiers de recherche
0115, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- Martha Nussbaum, 2003. "Capabilities As Fundamental Entitlements: Sen And Social Justice," Feminist Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(2-3), pages 33-59.
- Amartya Sen, 2004. "Capabilities, Lists, And Public Reason: Continuing The Conversation," Feminist Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(3), pages 77-80.
- Chakravarty, Satya R., 1983. "A new index of poverty," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 307-313, December.
- Bourguignon, F. & Chakravarty, S.R., 1998.
"The Measurement of Multidimensional Poverty,"
DELTA Working Papers
98-12, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Mozaffar Qizilbash, 2002. "Development, Common Foes and Shared Values," Review of Political Economy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(4), pages 463-480.
- Blakorby, Charles & Donaldson, David, 1980. "Ethical Indices for the Measurement of Poverty," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 1053-1060, May.
- Boland, Philip J. & Proschan, Frank, 1988. "Multivariate arrangement increasing functions with applications in probability and statistics," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 286-298, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:qeh:ophiwp:ophiwp009. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rachel Crawford)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.