Convergence of Metropolitan House Prices in South Africa: A Re-Examination Using Efficient Unit Root Tests
This paper analyzes whether the Law of One Price (LOOP) holds in the housing market of five metropolitan areas of South Africa, namely Cape Town, Durban, Greater Johannesburg, Port Elizabeth/Uitenhage and Pretoria. We test the existence of LOOP using the efficient unit root tests proposed by Elliott et al. (1996) [DF-GLS] and Elliott (1999) [DF-GLSu] based on monthly data on residential property prices covering the period of 1967:01 to 2009:03 for the large-, medium and small-middle segments of the housing market. Based on the DF-GLSu test, we find overwhelming evidence of the existence of LOOP in twelve of the fifteen possible cases, especially as the sample period becomes more recent. More importantly, our results are in sharp contrast with those obtained by Burger and Van Rensburg (2008) using quarterly data based on the Im, Pesharan and Shin (IPS, 2003) test, which are, in turn, shown to be highly sensitive to frequency of the data and temporal aggregation. With the rejection or the non-rejection of the null hypothesis of unit roots, based on panel data tests, not providing sufficient evidence to conclude that all the series in the panels have a unit root or that they are all stationary, more reliability should be placed on our results obtained from the efficient unit root tests.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (+2712) 420 2413
Fax: (+2712) 362-5207
Web page: http://www.up.ac.za/economics
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dreher, Axel & Krieger, Tim, 2004.
"Do gasoline prices converge in a unified Europe with non-harmonized tax rates?,"
Arbeitspapiere der Nordakademie
2004-04, Nordakademie - Hochschule der Wirtschaft.
- Axel Dreher & Tim Krieger, 2004. "Do gasoline prices converge in a unified Europe with non-harmonized tax rates?," TWI Research Paper Series 2, Thurgauer Wirtschaftsinstitut, Universitï¿½t Konstanz.
- Axel Dreher & Tim Krieger, 2005. "Do gasoline prices converge in a unified Europe with non-harmonized tax rates?," KOF Working papers 05-114, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Axel Dreher & Tim Krieger, 2004. "Do gasoline prices converge in a unified Europe with non- harmonized tax rates?," International Finance 0411005, EconWPA.
- Caner, Mehmet & Kilian, Lutz, 2000.
"Size Distortions Of Tests Of The Null Hypothesis Of Stationarity: Evidence And Implications For The PPP Debate,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2425, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Caner, M. & Kilian, L., 2001. "Size distortions of tests of the null hypothesis of stationarity: evidence and implications for the PPP debate," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 639-657, October.
- Kilian, L. & Caner, M., 1999. "Size Distortions of Tests of the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity: Evidence and Implications for the PPP Debate," Papers 99-05, Michigan - Center for Research on Economic & Social Theory.
- Karlsson, Sune & Löthgren, Mickael, 1999.
"On the power and interpretation of panel unit root tests,"
SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
299, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Karlsson, Sune & Lothgren, Mickael, 2000. "On the power and interpretation of panel unit root tests," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 66(3), pages 249-255, March.
- Pasaran, M.H. & Im, K.S. & Shin, Y., 1995.
"Testing for Unit Roots in Heterogeneous Panels,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
9526, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Philippe Burger & Lizelle janse Van rensburg, 2008. "Metropolitan House Prices In South Africa: Do They Converge?," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 76(2), pages 291-297, 06.
- Graham Elliott & Thomas J. Rothenberg & James H. Stock, 1992.
"Efficient Tests for an Autoregressive Unit Root,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0130, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Smith, Lawrence B & Rosen, Kenneth T & Fallis, George, 1988. "Recent Developments in Economic Models of Housing Markets," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 26(1), pages 29-64, March.
- Motta,Massimo, 2004. "Competition Policy," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521816632.
- Denis Kwiatkowski & Peter C.B. Phillips & Peter Schmidt, 1991.
"Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of a Unit Root: How Sure Are We That Economic Time Series Have a Unit Root?,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
979, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Kwiatkowski, Denis & Phillips, Peter C. B. & Schmidt, Peter & Shin, Yongcheol, 1992. "Testing the null hypothesis of stationarity against the alternative of a unit root : How sure are we that economic time series have a unit root?," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 54(1-3), pages 159-178.
- Kwiatkowski, D. & Phillips, P.C.B. & Schmidt, P., 1990. "Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of Unit Root : How Sure are we that Economic Time Series have a Unit Root?," Papers 8905, Michigan State - Econometrics and Economic Theory.
- Tom Doan, . "KPSS: RATS procedure to perform KPSS (Kwiatowski, Phillips, Schmidt, and Shin) stationarity test," Statistical Software Components RTS00100, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Thabo M. Mokoena & Gupta, R. & Van Eyden, R., 2009. "Half-Life Deviations from PPP in the South African Development Community (SADC)," Applied Econometrics and International Development, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 9(1).
- Forni, Mario, 2002.
"Using Stationarity Tests in Antitrust Market Definition,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3236, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mario Forni, 2004. "Using Stationarity Tests in Antitrust Market Definition," American Law and Economics Review, Oxford University Press, vol. 6(2), pages 441-464.
- Francis Ahking, 2003.
"Efficient unit root tests of real exchange rates in the post-Bretton Woods era,"
AccessEcon, vol. 6(7), pages 1-12.
- Francis W. Ahking, 2002. "Efficient Unit Root Tests of real Exchange Rates in the Post-Bretton Woods Era," Working papers 2002-17, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Motta,Massimo, 2004. "Competition Policy," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521016919.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pre:wpaper:200922. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rangan Gupta)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.