Australia’s underground economy – redux?
Bajada (2006) recognises that his earlier books and papers used a faulty method for measuring the underground economy in Australia. He also reports finding a new “more serious problem” in the method. All of these failures can be avoided, it is claimed, by reduced use of currency modelling and more reliance on outside estimates. Despite delivering estimates up to two-thirds less than before, the revised method involves substantial double counting. Ironically, these problems are found only in Bajada’s particular method, not in currency modelling generally.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Friedrich Schneider, 2004.
"Shadow Economies around the World: What do we really know?,"
IAW Discussion Papers
16, Institut für Angewandte Wirtschaftsforschung (IAW).
- Schneider, Friedrich, 2005. "Shadow economies around the world: what do we really know?," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 598-642, September.
- Bajada, Christopher, 1999. "Estimates of the Underground Economy in Australia," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 75(231), pages 369-84, December.
- Schneider, Friedrich, 1986. " Estimating the Size of the Danish Shadow Economy Using the Currency Demand Approach: An Attempt," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 88(4), pages 643-68.
- Mariá Dolores Gadea & José Mariá Serrano-Sanz, 2002. "The hidden economy in Spain - A monetary estimation, 1964-1998," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 27(3), pages 499-527.
- Christopher Bajada, 2003. "Business Cycle Properties of the Legitimate and Underground Economy in Australia," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 79(247), pages 397-411, December.
- Roderick Hill & Muhammed Kabir, 2000. "Currency demand and the growth of the underground economy in Canada, 1991-1995," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(2), pages 183-192.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:9980. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.