Promoting Permanent Employment: Lessons from Spain
This paper presents the first joint evaluation of the two major labour market reforms implemented in Spain to foster permanent employment in 1994 and 1997. The 1994 reform restored the principle of causality in the application of temporary contracts and the 1997 reform introduced a new permanent contract figure with lower payroll taxes and dismissal costs than the ordinary one. To evaluate these non-targeted treatments I present a family of semiparametric estimators that predict the outcome that would have been observed in the absence of a treatment by exploiting the time series variation of the outcome in the pre-treatment period. Alternative counterfactuals are also explored by means of conventional between-groups estimators. Estimates using the Spanish Labour Force Survey indicate that employers did not change their contract conversion practices in response to either the 1994 nor the 1997 reforms. The 1997 reform succeed in increasing unemployment to permanent employment transition probabilities for most groups of unemployed workers, including the middle-aged. This result rejects the natural experiment research design implemented in existing papers analyzing the effects of the 1997 reform.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- J. Ignacio García-Pérez & Yolanda F. Rebollo Sanz, 2009.
"The use of permanent contracts across Spanish regions: Do regional wage subsidies work?,"
Fundación SEPI, vol. 33(1), pages 97-130, January.
- J.Ignacio García Pérez & Yolanda Rebollo Sanz, 2007. "The use of permanent contracts across Spanish regions: Do regional wage subsidies work?," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2007/07, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- J. Ignacio García-Pérez & Yolanda Rebollo, 2007. "The Use of Permanent Contracts Across Spanish Regions: Do Regional Wage Subsidies Work?," Working Papers 2007-08, FEDEA.
- Yolanda Rebollo Sanz & Jose Ignacio García Pérez, 2007. "The use of permanent contracts across Spanish regions: Do regional wage subsidies work?," Working Papers 07.06, Universidad Pablo de Olavide, Department of Economics.
- Yolanda F. Rebollo & J. Ignacio Pérez, 2008. "The use of permanent contracts across Spanish regions: Do regional wage subsidies work?," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2008/09, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- Meyer, Bruce D, 1995.
"Natural and Quasi-experiments in Economics,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 13(2), pages 151-61, April.
- Heckman, James J, 1990. "Varieties of Selection Bias," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(2), pages 313-18, May.
- Alba-Ramirez, Alfonso, 1994. "Formal Training, Temporary Contracts, Productivity and Wages in Spain," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 56(2), pages 151-70, May.
- Adriana Kugler & Juan F. Jimeno & Virginia Hernanz, 2002.
"Employment consequences of restrictive permanent contracts: Evidence from Spanish labor market reforms,"
Economics Working Papers
651, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Hernanz, Virginia & Jimeno, Juan F & Kugler, Adriana D., 2003. "Employment Consequences of Restrictive Permanent Contracts: Evidence from Spanish Labour Market Reforms," CEPR Discussion Papers 3724, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Adriana Kugler & Juan F. Jimeno & Virginia Hernanz, . "Employment Consequences of Restrictive Permanent Contracts: Evidence from Spanish Labor Market Reforms," Working Papers 2003-14, FEDEA.
- Kugler, Adriana & Jimeno, Juan F. & Hernanz, Virginia, 2002. "Employment Consequences of Restrictive Permanent Contracts: Evidence from Spanish Labor Market Reforms," IZA Discussion Papers 657, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Alberto Abadie, 2005. "Semiparametric Difference-in-Differences Estimators," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 72(1), pages 1-19.
- Guadalupe, Maria, 2003.
"The hidden costs of fixed term contracts: the impact on work accidents,"
Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 339-357, June.
- María Guadalupe, 2002. "The Hidden Costs of Fixed Term Contracts: the Impact On Work Accidents," CEP Discussion Papers dp0551, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Maria Guadalupe, 2002. "The hidden costs of fixed term contracts: the impact on work accidents," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 20064, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:7933. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.