A Novel Pricing Method For European Options Based On Fourier-Cosine Series Expansions
Here we develop an option pricing method for European options based on the Fourier-cosine series, and call it the COS method. The key insight is in the close relation of the characteristic function with the series coefficients of the Fourier-cosine expansion of the density function. In most cases, the convergence rate of the COS method is exponential and the computational complexity is linear. Its range of application covers different underlying dynamics, including L\'evy processes and Heston stochastic volatility model, and various types of option contracts. We will present the method and its applications in two separate parts. The first one is this paper, where we deal with European options in particular. In a follow-up paper we will present its application to options with early-exercise features.
|Date of creation:||10 Mar 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andricopoulos, Ari D. & Widdicks, Martin & Duck, Peter W. & Newton, David P., 2003. "Universal option valuation using quadrature methods," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 67(3), pages 447-471, March.
- Darrell Duffie & Jun Pan & Kenneth Singleton, 2000.
"Transform Analysis and Asset Pricing for Affine Jump-Diffusions,"
Econometric Society, vol. 68(6), pages 1343-1376, November.
- Darrell Duffie & Jun Pan & Kenneth Singleton, 1999. "Transform Analysis and Asset Pricing for Affine Jump-Diffusions," NBER Working Papers 7105, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Peter Carr & Helyette Geman, 2002. "The Fine Structure of Asset Returns: An Empirical Investigation," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 75(2), pages 305-332, April.
- Heston, Steven L, 1993. "A Closed-Form Solution for Options with Stochastic Volatility with Applications to Bond and Currency Options," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 6(2), pages 327-43.
- Mark Broadie & Yusaku Yamamoto, 2003. "Application of the Fast Gauss Transform to Option Pricing," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 49(8), pages 1071-1088, August.
- Lord, Roger & Fang, Fang & Bervoets, Frank & Oosterlee, Kees, 2007. "A fast and accurate FFT-based method for pricing early-exercise options under Lévy processes," MPRA Paper 1952, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:7700. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.