The future of the national accounts
This paper discusses the future of the national accounts in view of four trends: globalisation, regionalisation like the European unification (regional blocks), atuomation and more market-oriented government. Each trend will be discussed starting from recent developments in national accounting. National accounts statistics will continue their role as a central overview statistic on national economies and become more internationally standardized with respect to concepts, data quality and range of national accounts statistics published. However, links to current policy issues (e.g. environment, social security, human capital) and specific data needs should be improved. National accounts statistics should also be made more transparant and attractive. Research is in particular required on the use and misuse of national accounts statistics and on improving compilation methods.
|Date of creation:||1996|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eisner, Robert, 1989. "Divergences of Measurement and Theory and Some Implications for Economic Policy," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(1), pages 1-13, March.
- Eisner, Robert, 1988. "Extended Accounts for National Income and Product," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 26(4), pages 1611-84, December.
- van Bergeijk, Peter A G, 1995. "The Accuracy of International Economic Observations," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(1), pages 1-20, January.
- Bos, Frits & Hollanders, Hugo & Keuning, Steven J, 1994.
"A Research and Development Module Supplementing the National Accounts,"
Review of Income and Wealth,
International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 40(3), pages 273-86, September.
- Bos, Frits & Hollanders, Hugo & Keuning, Steven, 1992. "A Research and Development Module supplementing the national accounts," MPRA Paper 5953, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Maddison, Angus & Ark, Bart van, 1994. "The international comparison of real product and productivity," GGDC Research Memorandum 199406, Groningen Growth and Development Centre, University of Groningen.
- Gorter, Cor & van der Laan, Paul, 1992. "An Economic Core System and the Socio-economic Accounts Module for the Netherlands," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 38(2), pages 199-223, June.
- Richter, Josef, 1994. "Use and Misuse of National Accounts from a Modeling Perspective," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 40(1), pages 99-110, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:5956. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.