Capital Formation in Thailand: Its Importance and Determinants
Using the dataset that comprises annual data during 1979 and 2012 and obtained from various sources, this study examines the importance of capital formation to Thai economy and what driving forces influence capital formation. The results show that real GDP and capital formation are cointegrated, and capital formation imposes a positive impact on real GDP in the long run. It is found that stock market liquidity measured by stock market capitalization rather than foreign direct investment plays important role in capital accumulation process. These findings give some policy implications.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2014|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Qin, Duo & Cagas, Marie Anne & Quising, Pilipinas & He, Xin-Hua, 2006.
"How much does investment drive economic growth in China?,"
Journal of Policy Modeling,
Elsevier, vol. 28(7), pages 751-774, October.
- Duo Qin & Marie Anne Cagas & Pilipinas Quising & Xin-Hua He, 2005. "How Much Does Investment Drive Economic Growth in China?," Working Papers 545, Queen Mary University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Arestis, Philip & Demetriades, Panicos O & Luintel, Kul B, 2001.
"Financial Development and Economic Growth: The Role of Stock Markets,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 33(1), pages 16-41, February.
- Philip Arestis & Panicos O. Demetriades & Kul B. Luintel, 1997. "Financial Development and Economic Growth: the Role of Stock Markets," Keele Department of Economics Discussion Papers (1995-2001) 97/05, Department of Economics, Keele University.
- Joshua Greene & Delano Villanueva, 1991. "Private Investment in Developing Countries: An Empirical Analysis," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 38(1), pages 33-58, March.
- Rudra P. Pradhan & Mak B. Arvin & Neville R. Norman & John H. Hall, 2014. "The dynamics of banking sector and stock market maturity and the performance of Asian economies: Time series evidence," Journal of Economic and Administrative Sciences, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 30(1), pages 16-44, May.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Yongcheol Shin & Richard J. Smith, 2001. "Bounds testing approaches to the analysis of level relationships," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 289-326.
- Jun, Zhang, 2003. "Investment, investment efficiency, and economic growth in China," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 713-734, October.
- Khan, Mohsin S. & Reinhart, Carmen M., 1990.
"Private investment and economic growth in developing countries,"
Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 19-27, January.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Khan, Mohsin, 1989. "Private investment and economic growth in developing countries," MPRA Paper 13655, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- William McDaniel Herr, 1964. "Capital Formation: Its Importance And Determinants," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 8(2), pages 97-111, December.
- In Choi & Bhum Suk Chung, 1995. "Sampling frequency and the power of tests for a unit root: A simulation study," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 131-136, August.
- Ali Al-Sadig, 2013. "The effects of foreign direct investment on private domestic investment: evidence from developing countries," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 44(3), pages 1267-1275, June.
- Jung-Suk Yu & M. Kabir Hassan & Benito Sanchez, 2012. "A re-examination of financial development, stock markets development and economic growth," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(27), pages 3479-3489, September.
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Peter G. A Howells & Alaa M. Soliman, 2004. "Stock Market Development And Economic Growth: The Causal Linkage," Journal of Economic Development, Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics, vol. 29(1), pages 33-50, June.
- Serven, Luis & Solimano, Andres, 1993. "Debt crisis, adjustment policies and capital formation in developing countries: Where do we stand?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 127-140, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:58442. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.