Unemployment Persistence & Risks of Skill Obsolescence in Arab Countries
This paper shows how unemployment has been persisting during the last years with the implied risks of knowledge obsolescence and other economic and social implications. Under the absence of actions that are likely to reduce the effects of knowledge obsolescence, Arab economies with high unemployment rates loose in terms of competitiveness and efficiency but also in the development of knowledge economy. Special training programs besides more business oriented educational sessions are likely to minimize the impacts of knowledge obsolescence. Descriptive statistics as well as regressions analyzes are used to show most of the dimensions of the unemployment problem in Arab economies.
|Date of creation:||19 Feb 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Beblo, Miriam & Wolf, Elke, 2000. "How much does a year off cost? Estimating the wage effects of employment breaks and part-time periods," ZEW Discussion Papers 00-69, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- de Grip, Andries & Bosma, Hans & Willems, Dick & van Boxtel, Martin, 2007.
"Job-Worker Mismatch and Cognitive Decline,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2956, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Roberta Gatti & Matteo Morgandi & Rebekka Grun & Stefanie Brodmann & Diego Angel-Urdinola & Juan Manuel Moreno & Daniela Marotta & Marc Schiffbauer & Elizabeth Mata Lorenzo, 2013. "Jobs for Shared Prosperity : Time for Action in the Middle East and North Africa," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 13284.
- World Bank, 2006. "Fostering Higher Growth and Employment in the Kingdom of Morocco," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 7114.
- Grip Andries de, 2006. "Evaluating Human Capital Obsolescence," ROA Working Paper 001, Maastricht University, Research Centre for Education and the Labour Market (ROA).
- Laureys, Lien, 2014.
"The cost of human capital depreciation during unemployment,"
Bank of England working papers
505, Bank of England.
- Lien Laureys, 2014. "The Cost of Human Capital Depreciation during Unemployment," Discussion Papers 1420, Centre for Macroeconomics (CFM).
- Heckman, James J & Borjas, George J, 1980. "Does Unemployment Cause Future Unemployment? Definitions, Questions and Answers from a Continuous Time Model of Heterogeneity and State Dependence," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 47(187), pages 247-83, August.
- Jim Allen & Andries De Grip, 2011.
"Does skill obsolescence increase the risk of employment loss?,"
- Jim Allen & Andries de Grip, 2012. "Does skill obsolescence increase the risk of employment loss?," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(25), pages 3237-3245, September.
- Acemoglu, Daron, 1995. "Public Policy in a Model of Long-Term Unemployment," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 62(246), pages 161-78, May.
- Mehdi Haririan Mehmet Huseyin Bilgin Gokhan Karabulut, 2010. "The Relationship between GDP and Unemployment: Evidence from MENA Countries," Zagreb International Review of Economics and Business, Faculty of Economics and Business, University of Zagreb, vol. 13(1), pages 17-28, May.
- Nicola Pavoni, 2009. "Optimal Unemployment Insurance, With Human Capital Depreciation, And Duration Dependence," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 50(2), pages 323-362, 05.
- Lars Ljungqvist & Thomas J. Sargent, 2008. "Two Questions about European Unemployment," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 76(1), pages 1-29, 01.
- Lilas Demmou, 2012. "Matching Skills and Jobs in Estonia," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 1007, OECD Publishing.
- Susan Stone & Patricia Sourdin & Clarisse Legendre, 2013. "Trade and Labour Market Adjustment," OECD Trade Policy Papers 143, OECD Publishing.
- Loo,J,van & Grip,A.,de & Steur,M.,de, 2001. "Skills Obsolescence: Causes and Cures," ROA Research Memorandum 003, Maastricht University, Research Centre for Education and the Labour Market (ROA).
- María Arrazola & José de Hevia & Marta Risueño & José Félix Sanz Sanz, 2005. "A proposal to estimate human capital depreciation: some evidence for Spain," Hacienda Pública Española, IEF, vol. 172(1), pages 9-22, June.
- Christopher A. Pissarides, 1992. "Loss of Skill During Unemployment and the Persistence of Employment Shocks," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 107(4), pages 1371-1391.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:53793. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.