The Value of Protecting Venice from the Acqua Alta Phenomenon under Different Local Sea Level Rises
Venice (Italy) is built on several islands inside a lagoon. It undergoes a periodical �ooding phenomenon, called "Acqua Alta" (AA). A system of mobile dams, called Mo.S.E., is currently under construction to protect it. When needed, several fl�oodgates will be lifted to separate the lagoon from the Adriatic sea. AA, whose length and height has been increasing in recent years, is a random phenomenon, correlated with local sea level rise (LSLR). Several possible LSLRs can be assumed as consequences of different global warming scenarios. We investigate here the cost-bene�t of Mo.S.E. under different possible LSLRs. First, we simulate the future patterns of AA for the next 50 years under alternative LSLRs. Then, we calculate the bene�t of Mo.S.E., converting each avoided AA episode into an economic value (avoided cost). We show that the bene�ts are just at the level of the costs, when a low LSLR is assumed and increase with LSLR, provided that it does not reache a catastrophic (yet unpredictable) extreme level.
|Date of creation:||19 Feb 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lucia Vergano & Georg Umgiesser & Paulo A.L.D. Nunes, 2010. "An Economic Assessment of the Impacts of the MOSE Barriers on Venice Port Activities," Working Papers 2010.17, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Caporin, Massimiliano & Preś, Juliusz, 2012.
"Modelling and forecasting wind speed intensity for weather risk management,"
Computational Statistics & Data Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 56(11), pages 3459-3476.
- Massimiliano Caporin & Juliusz Pres, 2010. "Modelling and forecasting wind speed intensity for weather risk management," "Marco Fanno" Working Papers 0106, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche "Marco Fanno".
- Fulvio Fontini & Georg Umgiesser & Lucia Vergano, 2008.
"The Role of Ambiguity in the Evaluation of the Net Benefits of the MOSE System in the Venice Lagoon,"
"Marco Fanno" Working Papers
0080, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche "Marco Fanno".
- Fontini, Fulvio & Umgiesser, Georg & Vergano, Lucia, 2010. "The role of ambiguity in the evaluation of the net benefits of the MOSE system in the Venice lagoon," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(10), pages 1964-1972, August.
- Massimiliano Caporin & Juliusz Preś, 2013. "Forecasting Temperature Indices Density with Time‐Varying Long‐Memory Models," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 32(4), pages 339-352, 07.
- Nelson, Daniel B, 1991. "Conditional Heteroskedasticity in Asset Returns: A New Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 347-70, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:53779. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.