States as LBO Specialists: evidence from Portugal
The paper’s purpose is to quantify the performance of a State in its action as a de facto LBO specialist, taking companies private to restructure them and subsequently reselling them in the share market. A sample comprising all the listed companies nationalized in Portugal in 1975 and 1976 that were subsequently privatised through a relisting by means of a share issue is constructed. The returns earned by the Portuguese Republic are computed, comparing the market values of nationalised companies at the time of their privatization with their theoretical value in a non-nationalization scenario. A negative abnormal return for the Portuguese Republic’s investment in shares is found. This negative return is much worse than the ones computed in similar work for France.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:||2013|
|Publication status:||Published in International Journal of Financial Research 2.4(2013): pp. 68-76|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jerry Cao & Josh Lerner, 2006.
"The Performance of Reverse Leveraged Buyouts,"
NBER Working Papers
12626, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wei, Zuobao & Varela, Oscar & Kabir Hassan, M., 2002. "Ownership and performance in Chinese manufacturing industry1," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 61-78, February.
- Muscarella, Chris J & Vetsuypens, Michael R, 1989. "The Underpricing of "Second" Initial Public Offerings," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 12(3), pages 183-92, Fall.
- Kaplan, Steve & Schoar, Antoinette, 2004.
"Private Equity Performance: Returns, Persistence and Capital Flows,"
4446-03, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Steven N. Kaplan & Antoinette Schoar, 2005. "Private Equity Performance: Returns, Persistence, and Capital Flows," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 60(4), pages 1791-1823, 08.
- Jeffry M. Netter & William L. Megginson, 2001. "From State to Market: A Survey of Empirical Studies on Privatization," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 39(2), pages 321-389, June.
- repec:bla:jfnres:v:24:y:2001:i:1:p:119-131 is not listed on IDEAS
- Cao, Jerry X., 2011. "IPO Timing, Buyout Sponsors’ Exit Strategies, and Firm Performance of RLBOs," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 46(04), pages 1001-1024, September.
- Herve Alexandre & Gérard Charreaux, 2004.
"Efficiency of French privatizations: a dynamic vision,"
- Alexandre, Herve & Charreaux, Gerard, 2004. "Efficiency of French privatizations: a dynamic vision," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 467-494, June.
- Hervé Alexandre & Gérard Charreaux, 2001. "Efficiency of French Privatizations:A Dynamic Vision," Working Papers CREGO 011001, Université de Bourgogne - CREGO EA7317 Centre de recherches en gestion des organisations, revised Oct 2001.
- Chris J. Muscarella & Michael R. Vetsuypens, 1989. "The Underpricing Of “Second” Initial Public Offerings," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 12(3), pages 183-192, 09.
- Villalonga, Belen, 2000. "Privatization and efficiency: differentiating ownership effects from political, organizational, and dynamic effects," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 43-74, May.
- Paul H. Malatesta & Kathryn L. DeWenter, 2001. "State-Owned and Privately Owned Firms: An Empirical Analysis of Profitability, Leverage, and Labor Intensity," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(1), pages 320-334, March.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/6090 is not listed on IDEAS
- Harper, Joel T, 2001. "Short-Term Effects of Privatization on Operating Performance in the Czech Republic," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 24(1), pages 119-31, Spring.
- Wei, Zuobao & Varela, Oscar, 2003. "State equity ownership and firm market performance: evidence from China's newly privatized firms," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 65-82, May.
- John Vickers & George Yarrow, 1988. "Privatization: An Economic Analysis," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262720116, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:51433. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.