Stock Market Development and Capital Accumulation: What the Time Series Evidence Shows
The present study analysed time series data of 37 developed and less developed countries over the period 1976-2002. It shows that in the majority of cases (including France, UK and USA) the stock market turnover ratio - an important indicator of stock market development- has no positive long-term relationship with the growth rates of gross fixed capital formation. For some developed countries such as Austria, Italy, Japan and Germany and less-developed countries such as Chile, Egypt, Jamaica, Jordan, Philippines and Venezuela we get a positive long-term relationship. These are by and large the so-called French or German-origin civil law countries.
|Date of creation:||21 Jun 2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arestis, Philip & Demetriades, Panicos O & Luintel, Kul B, 2001.
"Financial Development and Economic Growth: The Role of Stock Markets,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 33(1), pages 16-41, February.
- Philip Arestis & Panicos O. Demetriades & Kul B. Luintel, 1997. "Financial Development and Economic Growth: the Role of Stock Markets," Keele Department of Economics Discussion Papers (1995-2001) 97/05, Department of Economics, Keele University.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1998. "Law and Finance," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 106(6), pages 1113-1155, December.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, "undated". "Law and Finance," Working Paper 19451, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996. "Law and Finance," NBER Working Papers 5661, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996. "Law and Finance," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1768, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- La Porta, Rafael & Lopez-de-Silanes, Florencio & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W., 1998. "Law and Finance," Scholarly Articles 3451310, Harvard University Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:5054. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.