Intra-Industry Trade in Dirty Goods and Environmental Policies
In this paper we study the effect of intra-industry trade in an environmental-quality differentiated good on the pollution level in a two-country framework when there are strategic interactions between the firms in the two countries. The pro-competitive effect of intra-industry trade expands the scale of production and, therefore, increases pollution in both the countries. Effect on the strategic choice of environmental qualities of the good is, on the other hand, asymmetric for the two producers. Impact of environmental policies like pollution content production tax and tariff on trade and pollution levels are also studied. .
|Date of creation:||15 Jun 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Copeland, Brian R. & Taylor, M. Scott, 1999.
"Trade, spatial separation, and the environment,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 137-168, February.
- Brian R. Copeland & M. Scott Taylor, 1995. "Trade, Spatial Separation, and the Environment," NBER Working Papers 5242, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sen, Anindita & Acharyya, Rajat, 2012. "Environmental standard and employment: impact of productivity effect," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 17(02), pages 207-225, April.
- Motta, Massimo, 1993. "Endogenous Quality Choice: Price vs. Quantity Competition," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(2), pages 113-131, June.
- Brander, James A., 1981. "Intra-industry trade in identical commodities," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 1-14, February.
- James Brander, 1980. "Intra-Industry Trade in Identical Commodities," Working Papers 380, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Brian R. Copeland & M. Scott Taylor, 1994. "North-South Trade and the Environment," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 109(3), pages 755-787. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:49167. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.