Tourism Economics in Saudi Arabia: PP-VAR Approach
In This paper investigates the nexus relationship between tourism expenditure and Non Oil economic growth in Saudi Arabia over the period 1970-2012. Using Phillips and Perron (PP) unit root test-VAR approach with several techniques including Unit root tests, Johansen’s co-integration test, Granger Causality test and Vector Error Correction Model (VECM). We used time series econometrics techniques to examine the causal relationship between tourism expenditure and economic growth in the Saudi economy. The findings reveal that there is a bilateral causality and positive long-run relationship running from Non Oil-GDP to tourism expenditure. The results obtained from the analyses show that there is a positive relationship between tourism spending and economic growth in Saudi Arabia. The development of tourism sector will thus have a positive impact on the growth of the Saudi economy. Also, the results show that, in Saudi Arabia, the model of tourism expenditure is found to hold for Non Oil-GDP.
|Date of creation:||01 Apr 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Asian Journal of Business and Management 1.1(2013): pp. 21-27|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Francesco Pigliaru & Rinaldo Brau & Alessandro Lanza, 2007.
"How Fast are Small Tourist Countries Growing? The 1980-2003 Evidence,"
2007.1, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- R. Brau & A. Lanza & F. Pigliaru, 2006. "How fast are small tourist countries growing? The 1980-2003 evidence," Working Paper CRENoS 200614, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Engle, Robert & Granger, Clive, 2015.
"Co-integration and error correction: Representation, estimation, and testing,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 39(3), pages 106-135.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Granger, C. W. J., 1980. "Testing for causality : A personal viewpoint," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 329-352, May.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-72, June.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:46602. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.