Parameter Estimation and Model Testing for Markov Processes via Conditional Characteristic Functions
Markov processes are used in a wide range of disciplines, including finance. The transition densities of these processes are often unknown. However, the conditional characteristic functions are more likely to be available, especially for Lévy-driven processes. We propose an empirical likelihood approach, for both parameter estimation and model specification testing, based on the conditional characteristic function for processes with either continuous or discontinuous sample paths.Theoretical properties of the empirical likelihood estimator for parameters and a smoothed empirical likelihood ratio test for a parametric specification of the process are provided. Simulations and empirical case studies are carried out to confirm the effectiveness of the proposed estimator and test.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Darrell Duffie & Jun Pan & Kenneth Singleton, 1999.
"Transform Analysis and Asset Pricing for Affine Jump-Diffusions,"
NBER Working Papers
7105, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Darrell Duffie & Jun Pan & Kenneth Singleton, 2000. "Transform Analysis and Asset Pricing for Affine Jump-Diffusions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 68(6), pages 1343-1376, November.
- Merton, Robert C., 1976.
"Option pricing when underlying stock returns are discontinuous,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 3(1-2), pages 125-144.
- Merton, Robert C., 1975. "Option pricing when underlying stock returns are discontinuous," Working papers 787-75., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Vasicek, Oldrich, 1977. "An equilibrium characterization of the term structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 177-188, November.
- Vasicek, Oldrich Alfonso, 1977. "Abstract: An Equilibrium Characterization of the Term Structure," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(04), pages 627-627, November.
- Sundaresan, S.M., 2000. "Continuous-Time Methods in Finance: A Review and an Assessment," Papers 00-03, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- AÃ¯t-Sahalia, Yacine & Fan, Jianqing & Peng, Heng, 2009. "Nonparametric Transition-Based Tests for Jump Diffusions," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 104(487), pages 1102-1116.
- Song Xi Chen & Wolfgang Härdle & Ming Li, 2003.
"An empirical likelihood goodness-of-fit test for time series,"
Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B,
Royal Statistical Society, vol. 65(3), pages 663-678.
- Chen, Song Xi & Härdle, Wolfgang & Kleinow, Torsten, 2000. "An empirical likelihood goodness-of-fit test for time series," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 2001,1, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Michael Johannes, 2004. "The Statistical and Economic Role of Jumps in Continuous-Time Interest Rate Models," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 59(1), pages 227-260, 02.
- Jiang, George J & Knight, John L, 2002. "Estimation of Continuous-Time Processes via the Empirical Characteristic Function," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(2), pages 198-212, April.
- Suresh M. Sundaresan, 2000. "Continuous-Time Methods in Finance: A Review and an Assessment," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(4), pages 1569-1622, 08.
- Yacine Ait-Sahalia, 2002. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Discretely Sampled Diffusions: A Closed-form Approximation Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(1), pages 223-262, January.
- Singleton, Kenneth J., 2001. "Estimation of affine asset pricing models using the empirical characteristic function," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 102(1), pages 111-141, May.
- Yuichi Kitamura & Gautam Tripathi & Hyungtaik Ahn, 2004.
"Empirical Likelihood-Based Inference in Conditional Moment Restriction Models,"
Econometric Society, vol. 72(6), pages 1667-1714, November.
- Yuichi Kitamura & Gautam Tripathi & Hyungtaik Ahn, 2001. "Empirical Likelihood-Based Inference in Conditional Moment Restriction Models," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-124, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Chacko, George & Viceira, Luis M., 2003. "Spectral GMM estimation of continuous-time processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 116(1-2), pages 259-292.
- Cox, John C & Ingersoll, Jonathan E, Jr & Ross, Stephen A, 1985. "A Theory of the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(2), pages 385-407, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:46273. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.