Efficiency performance of Malaysian Islamic banks
This study examines the efficiency performance of the full-fledged Islamic banks in Malaysia for the period of 2006 to 2011. The Malaysian Islamic banking industry has grown tremendously in terms of assets, deposits and total financing over the study period. Data Envelopment Analysis is employed in this study to measure the cost efficiency as well as the technical efficiency and its decompositions. The results show that, on average the main contributor of cost efficiency for Islamic domestic and foreign banks in Malaysia is allocative efficiency. In addition, the results find that Islamic foreign banks are more efficient than domestic banks with respect to pure technical efficiency and allocative efficiency.
|Date of creation:||16 Apr 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sudin Haron & Wan Nursofiza Wan Azmi, 2008. "Determinants of Islamic and conventional deposits in the Malaysian banking system," Managerial Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 34(9), pages 618-643.
- Isik, Ihsan & Hassan, M. Kabir, 2002. "Technical, scale and allocative efficiencies of Turkish banking industry," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 719-766, April.
- Matthews, Kent & Ismail, Mahadzir, 2006. "Efficiency and Productivity Growth of Domestic and Foreign Commercial Banks in Malaysia," Cardiff Economics Working Papers E2006/2, Cardiff University, Cardiff Business School, Economics Section.
- Mohd. Azmi Omar & Abdul Rahim Abdul Rahman & Rosylin Mohd. Yusof & M. Shabri Abd. Majid & Mohd. Eskandar Shah Mohd. Rasid, 2006. "Efficiency of Commercial Banks in Malaysia," Asian Academy of Management Journal of Accounting and Finance (AAMJAF), Penerbit Universiti Sains Malaysia, vol. 2(2), pages 19-42.
- Hassan, M. Kabir, 2006. "The X-Efficiency In Islamic Banks," Islamic Economic Studies, The Islamic Research and Training Institute (IRTI), vol. 13, pages 50-78.
- Mariani Abdul-Majid & David Saal & Giuliana Battisti, 2011. "The impact of Islamic banking on the cost efficiency and productivity change of Malaysian commercial banks," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(16), pages 2033-2054.
- Juan Sole, 2007. "Introducing Islamic Banks into Conventional Banking Systems," IMF Working Papers 07/175, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:46238. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.