Long-run consequences of debt in a stock-flow consistent network economy
In this paper we develop a theoretical framework to analyze the long-run behavior of an economy characterized by a regime of persistent debt. We introduce a stock-flow consistent dynamic model where the economic system is represented by a network of trading relationships among agents. Debt contracts are one of such relationships. The model is characterized by a unique and stable steady-state, which predicts that (i) aggregate income is always limited from the above by the money supply and that (ii) debts cause a redistribution of borrowers' wealth and income in favor of lenders. In the aggregate this may also lower nominal income, as empirical evidence suggests.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tobin, James, 1981.
"Money and Finance in the Macro-Economic Process,"
Nobel Prize in Economics documents
1981-1, Nobel Prize Committee.
- Godley, Wynne, 1999. "Money and Credit in a Keynesian Model of Income Determination," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 23(4), pages 393-411, July.
- Nobuhiro Kiyotaki & John Moore, 1995.
NBER Working Papers
5083, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stephen Cecchetti & Madhusudan Mohanty & Fabrizio Zampolli, 2011. "The real effects of debt," BIS Working Papers 352, Bank for International Settlements.
- Bernanke, Ben & Gertler, Mark, 1989. "Agency Costs, Net Worth, and Business Fluctuations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(1), pages 14-31, March.
- Tobin, James, 1969. "A General Equilibrium Approach to Monetary Theory," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 1(1), pages 15-29, February.
- Patterson, K D & Stephenson, M J, 1988. "Stock-Flow Consistent Accounting: A Macroeconomic Perspective," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 98(392), pages 787-800, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:43011. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.