A Methodology for Information System Formation and Performance
This study seeks to develop a comprehensive methodology for assessing information system formation and performance. Our conceptual framework incorporates three complementary methods, which constitute the methodology developed. The first method proposes an approach to analyze the effects on the information system formation and performance of macro-level institutions that directly or indirectly shape information activities; the second method, to characterize system linkages and identify critical, causal information flow patterns at the meso-level; and the third method, to assess the effectiveness of these linkages and flow patterns considering the organization-level learning and dissemination capacities. With the design of a workshop and a questionnaire, the study fully operationalizes the methodology. The workshop aims to identify priority information flow patterns, while the questionnaire seeks to qualitatively measure the organizational learning and dissemination capacities. Finally, we present a roadmap for a full-fletch assessment of information system. This map puts the assessment in perspective, linking the findings from the three methods with the structure-conduct-performance (SCP) approach. This way, the proposed methodology incorporates the SCP approach that allows the assessment of system performance.
|Date of creation:||26 Oct 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joseph E. Stiglitz, 2000. "The Contributions Of The Economics Of Information To Twentieth Century Economics," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 115(4), pages 1441-1478, November.
- Tugrul Temel, 2004. "A method for cross-sector priority setting," The European Journal of Health Economics, Springer, vol. 5(4), pages 317-323, November.
- George J. Stigler, 1961. "The Economics of Information," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 69, pages 213.
- Robin Cowan & Paul A. David & Dominique Foray, 1999.
"The Explicit Economics of Knowledge Codification and Tacitness,"
99027, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- Cowan, Robin & David, Paul A & Foray, Dominique, 2000. "The Explicit Economics of Knowledge Codification and Tacitness," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 9(2), pages 211-53, June.
- Cowan Robin & David Paul & Foray Dominique, 1999. "The Explicit Economics of Knowledge Codification and Tacitness," Research Memorandum 025, Maastricht University, Maastricht Economic Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Cristiano Antonelli, 2003.
"Knowledge Complementarity and Fungeability: Implications for Regional Strategy,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(6-7), pages 595-606.
- Antonelli, Cristiano, 2003. "Knowledge Complementarity and Fungeability: Implications for Regional Strategy," Department of Economics and Statistics Cognetti de Martiis LEI & BRICK - Laboratory of Economics of Innovation "Franco Momigliano", Bureau of Research in Innovation, Complexity and Knowledge, Collegio 200302, University of Turin.
- Cowan, Robin & Foray, Dominique, 1997. "The Economics of Codification and the Diffusion of Knowledge," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 6(3), pages 595-622, September.
- X Martin & R Salomon, 2003. "Knowledge transfer capacity and its implications for the theory of the multinational corporation," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 34(4), pages 356-373, July.
- Tugrul Temel, 2004. "Mapping organisational linkages in the agricultural innovation system of Azerbaijan," International Journal of Agricultural Resources, Governance and Ecology, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 3(1/2), pages 134-153.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:42263. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.