Improved tests for spatial correlation
We consider testing the null hypothesis of no spatial autocorrelation against the alternative of first order spatial autoregression. A Wald test statistic has good first order asymptotic properties, but these may not be relevant in small or moderate-sized samples, especially as (depending on properties of the spatial weight matrix) the usual parametric rate of convergence may not be attained. We thus develop tests with more accurate size properties, by means of Edgeworth expansions and the bootstrap. The finite-sample performance of the tests is examined in Monte Carlo simulations.
|Date of creation:||22 Jun 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Phillips, Peter C B, 1977. "Approximations to Some Finite Sample Distributions Associated with a First-Order Stochastic Difference Equation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(2), pages 463-485, March.
- Kelejian, Harry H & Prucha, Ingmar R, 1998.
"A Generalized Spatial Two-Stage Least Squares Procedure for Estimating a Spatial Autoregressive Model with Autoregressive Disturbances,"
The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics,
Springer, vol. 17(1), pages 99-121, July.
- Harry H. Kelejian & Ingmar R. Prucha, 1997. "A Generalized Spatial Two Stage Least Squares Procedure for Estimating a Spatial Autoregressive Model with Autoregressive Disturbances," Electronic Working Papers 97-002, University of Maryland, Department of Economics, revised Aug 1997.
- Forchini, G., 2002.
"The Exact Cumulative Distribution Function Of A Ratio Of Quadratic Forms In Normal Variables, With Application To The Ar(1) Model,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(04), pages 823-852, August.
- Giovanni Forchini, "undated". "The Exact Cumulative Distribution Function of a Ratio of Quadratic Forms in Normal Variables with Application to the AR(1) Model," Discussion Papers 01/02, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Lee, Lung-Fei, 2002. "Consistency And Efficiency Of Least Squares Estimation For Mixed Regressive, Spatial Autoregressive Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(02), pages 252-277, April.
- Paparoditis, Efstathios & Politis, Dimitris N., 2005. "Bootstrap hypothesis testing in regression models," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 74(4), pages 356-365, October.
- Case, Anne C, 1991. "Spatial Patterns in Household Demand," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(4), pages 953-965, July.
- Lung-Fei Lee, 2004. "Asymptotic Distributions of Quasi-Maximum Likelihood Estimators for Spatial Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 72(6), pages 1899-1925, November.
- Hillier, G.H., 1999. "The density of a quadratic form in a vector uniformly distributed on the n-sphere," Discussion Paper Series In Economics And Econometrics 9902, Economics Division, School of Social Sciences, University of Southampton.
- Hillier, Grant, 2001. "THE DENSITY OF A QUADRATIC FORM IN A VECTOR UNIFORMLY DISTRIBUTED ON THE n-SPHERE," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 17(01), pages 1-28, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:41835. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.