Multidimensional Measurement of Poverty in Pakistan
Since the seminal work of Sen, it has been acknowledged that poverty is a multidimensional phenomenon and the unprecedented availability of relevant data has renewed interest in the multidimensionality of the poverty. The purpose of present study is to estimate the multidimensional poverty in Pakistan by using the data of Pakistan Social and Living Standard Measurement Survey 2005-06. The study used nine dimensions i.e. electricity, asset, water, sanitation, housing, education, expenditures, land, and empowerment. Results indicate that majority of Pakistan’s households are deprived in five dimensions: Empowerment, Land, Housing, Sanitation and Asset. Overall 22.8 percent households are living below the expenditure poverty line, and in urban area 11.3% are expenditure deprived and 28.6% are expenditure deprived in rural area.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Klasen, Stephan, 2000. "Measuring Poverty and Deprivation in South Africa," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 46(1), pages 33-58, March.
- Esfandiar Maasoumi & Maria Ana Lugo, 2008.
"The Information Basis of Multivariate Poverty Assessments,"
0804, Department of Economics, Emory University (Atlanta).
- Maasoumi, Esfandiar & Lugo, Maria, 2006. "The Information Basis of Multivariate Poverty Assessments," Departmental Working Papers 0603, Southern Methodist University, Department of Economics.
- Olympia Bover, 2010.
"Wealth Inequality And Household Structure: U.S. Vs. Spain,"
Review of Income and Wealth,
International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 56(2), pages 259-290, 06.
- Olympia Bover, 2008. "Wealth inequality and household structure: US vs. Spain," Banco de Espa�a Working Papers 0804, Banco de Espa�a.
- Bover, Olympia, 2008. "Wealth inequality and household structure: US vs. Spain," CEPR Discussion Papers 6680, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Haroon Jamal & Amir Jahan Khan & Imran Ashraf Toor & Naveed Amir, 2003. "Mapping the Spatial Deprivation of Pakistan," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 42(2), pages 91-111.
- Van den Bosch, Karel, 1998. "Poverty and Assets in Belgium," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 44(2), pages 215-28, June.
- Sen, Amartya K, 1976. "Poverty: An Ordinal Approach to Measurement," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(2), pages 219-31, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:41532. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.