Medium size cities economic development and regional competitiveness: the case of Larissa – Volos dipole in Thessaly region of Greece
The main purpose of this article is to investigate the relation between cities’ economic development (local level) and regions’ competitiveness (regional level) in the region of Thessaly, Greece (the Larissa – Volos dipole case - study). The last fifteen years almost fifty non - local enterprises have established new plants or have expanded their business activities to Thessaly region and especially around the cities of Larissa and Volos (eastern Thessaly). The first issue that this article investigates concerns the reasons for this agglomeration. The second issue has to do with the contribution of enterprises to the cities’ development and to the region’s competitiveness as a whole. The third issue concerns enterprises’ decision analysis process to establish business activities in Thessaly region and the role of place marketing policies supporting this decision. Finally the article provides suggestions and particular development strategies for the strengthening of the Thessaly region’s competitiveness through the economic development of the Larissa - Volos dipole.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Date of revision:||2004|
|Publication status:||Published in Discussion Papers Series, University of Thessaly 7.10(2004): pp. 161-200|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dabinett, G. & Gore, T. & Haywood, R. & Lawless, P., 1999. "Transport investment and regeneration. Sheffield: 1992-1997," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 123-134, April.
- Yannis M. Ioannides & George Petrakos, 2000. "Regional Disparities in Greece and the Performance of Crete, Peloponnese and Thessaly," Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University 0008, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- Juan R. Cuadrado-Roura, 2001. "Regional convergence in the European Union: From hypothesis to the actual trends," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 35(3), pages 333-356.
- Juan Cuadrado-Roura & Luis Rubalcaba-Bermejo, 1998. "Specialization and Competition amongst European Cities: A New Approach through Fair and Exhibition Activities," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(2), pages 133-147.
- Giannetti, Mariassunta, 2002. "The effects of integration on regional disparities: Convergence, divergence or both?," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 539-567, March.
- Esther Vaya Valcarce & Enrique Lopez Bazo & Rosina Moreno Serrano & Jordi Surinach Caralt, 2000. "Growth and externalities across economies. An empirical analysis using spatial econometrics," Working Papers in Economics 59, Universitat de Barcelona. Espai de Recerca en Economia.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:41122. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.