R&D Spillovers, Innovation, and Entry
The paper extends a theoratical framework to analyze the impact of R&D spillovers on entry and the resulting equilibrium market structure. It is shown that the degree of spillovers plays a fundamental role on the number of firms entering the market, their R&D activities, and social welfare. The analysis suggests that social welfare is maximized at some intermediate degree of spillovers. The policy implication of this result is that neither complete protection of intellectual property right nor lax enforcement of patent laws is socially optimal.
|Date of creation:||01 Jul 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gamal Atallah, 2002.
"Vertical R&D Spillovers, Cooperation, Market Structure, and Innovation,"
Economics of Innovation and New Technology,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(3), pages 179-209.
- Gamal Atallah, 2000. "Vertical R&D Spillovers, Cooperation, Market Structure, and Innovation," CIRANO Working Papers 2000s-54, CIRANO.
- Gamal Atallah, 2000. "Vertical R&D Spillovers, Cooperation, Market Structure, And Innovation," Industrial Organization 0004009, EconWPA.
- Atallah, G., 2000. "Vertical R&D Sprillovers, Cooperation, Market Structure, and Innovation," Cahiers de recherche 2000-16, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- ATALLAH, Gamal, 2000. "Vertical R&D Sprillovers, Cooperation, Market Structure, and Innovation," Cahiers de recherche 2000-16, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Poyago-Theotoky, Joanna, 1995. "Equilibrium and Optimal Size of a Research Joint Venture in an Oligopoly with Spillovers," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(2), pages 209-26, June.
- Gamal Atallah, 2006.
"Entry Deterrence Through Fixed Cost-Reducing R&D,"
0605E, University of Ottawa, Department of Economics.
- Nisvan Erkal:Daniel Piccinin, 2007.
"Cooperative R&D under Uncertainty with Free Entry,"
Department of Economics - Working Papers Series
999, The University of Melbourne.
- Suetens, Sigrid, 2005. "Cooperative and noncooperative R&D in experimental duopoly markets," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 23(1-2), pages 63-82, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:39460. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.