A note on the empirical test of herding: a threshold regression approach
The paper aims at investigating herding behaviour in equity market by applying an alternative econometric methodology. The paper applies the threshold test developed by Hansen  to standard herding model in order to capture a non-linear effect of extreme market movement on the trading behaviour of the participants. Using the econometric model with threshold effect, the paper finds little evidence for market-wide herding for the Indian equity market. Even in the extreme market conditions, participants appear to discriminate between different securities, as predicted by the rational asset pricing paradigm.
|Date of creation:||11 Apr 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hwang, Soosung & Salmon, Mark, 2004.
"Market Stress and Herding,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4340, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gleason, Kimberly C. & Mathur, Ike & Peterson, Mark A., 2004. "Analysis of intraday herding behavior among the sector ETFs," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 11(5), pages 681-694, December.
- Demirer, RIza & Kutan, Ali M., 2006. "Does herding behavior exist in Chinese stock markets?," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 123-142, April.
- Tan, Lin & Chiang, Thomas C. & Mason, Joseph R. & Nelling, Edward, 2008. "Herding behavior in Chinese stock markets: An examination of A and B shares," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 16(1-2), pages 61-77, January.
- Russ Wermers, 1999. "Mutual Fund Herding and the Impact on Stock Prices," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(2), pages 581-622, 04.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:38037. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.