The Relationship between the Equivalence Scale and the Inequality Index and Its Impact on the Measurement of Income Inequality
The paper discusses the ∪-shaped relationship between the equivalence scale n^ε and the Gini index instead of considering the equivalence scale’s relationship to the generalised entropy measures, which was studied by Coulter, et al. (1992). An end-point condition is given for the ∪-shaped relationship, which corresponds to a condition for that of the generalised entropy measures. Additionally, using a mixture of log-normal distributions approach, five factors are shown to be required for a convex relationship between size elasticity and the Gini index. Empirically, income distributions satisfy those factors. Thus, the end-point condition essentially determines the shape of the relationship.
|Date of creation:||12 Mar 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Banks, James & Johnson, Paul, 1994. "Equivalence Scale Relativities Revisited," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(425), pages 883-890, July.
- Timothy Smeeding & Gunther Schmaus & Brigitte Buhmann & Lee Rainwater, 1988. "Equivalence Scales, Well-Being, Inequality and Poverty: Sensitivity Estimates Across Ten Countries Using the LIS Database," LIS Working papers 17, LIS Cross-National Data Center in Luxembourg.
- Yitzhaki, Shlomo & Lerman, Robert I, 1991. "Income Stratification and Income Inequality," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 37(3), pages 313-329, September.
- Deaton, Angus S & Muellbauer, John, 1986. "On Measuring Child Costs: With Applications to Poor Countries," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(4), pages 720-744, August.
- Phipps, Shelley & Garner, Thesia I, 1994.
"Are Equivalence Scales the Same for the United States and Canada?,"
Review of Income and Wealth,
International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 40(1), pages 1-17, March.
- Garner, T.I. & Phipps, S., 1993. "Are Equivalence Scales the Same for the United States and Canada?," Department of Economics at Dalhousie University working papers archive 93-02, Dalhousie, Department of Economics.
- Masato Okamoto, 2009. "Decomposition of gini and multivariate gini indices," The Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer;Society for the Study of Economic Inequality, vol. 7(2), pages 153-177, June.
- Muellbauer, John, 1980. "The Estimation of the Prais-Houthakker Model of Equivalence Scales," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(1), pages 153-176, January.
- Ray, Ranjan, 1983. "Measuring the costs of children : An alternative approach," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 89-102, October.
- Muellbauer, John, 1977. "Testing the Barten Model of Household Composition Effects and the Cost of Children," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 87(347), pages 460-487, September.
- Jenkins, Stephen P & Cowell, Frank A, 1994. "Parametric Equivalence Scales and Scale Relativities," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(425), pages 891-900, July.
- Coulter, Fiona A E & Cowell, Frank A & Jenkins, Stephen P, 1992. "Equivalence Scale Relativities and the Extent of Inequality and Poverty," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 102(414), pages 1067-1082, September.
- Blundell, Richard & Ray, Ranjan, 1982. "A non-separable generalisation of the linear expenditure system allowing non-linear Engel curves," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 349-354.
- McClements, L. D., 1977. "Equivalence scales for children," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 191-210, October. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:37410. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.