Ranking mainstream economics journals: A note
This paper by applying Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA) ranks Economics journals. In contrast with many other studies this paper ranks journals which are characterized as mainstream economic journals rather than interciplinary economic journals. By using one composite input and one composite output the paper ranks 180 journals. In addition for the first time three different quality ranking reports have been incorporated to the DEA modelling problem in order to classify the journals into four categories (‘A’ to ‘D’). The results reveal that the journals with the highest rankings in mainstream economics are Journal of Political Economy, Quarterly Journal of Economics, Journal of Economic Literature, Review of Economic Studies, American Economic Review, Econometrica, Review of Economics and Statistics, Journal of Economic Theory, Journal of Econometrics, Economic Journal, Journal of Monetary Economics, Journal of International Economics, Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, International Economic Review, Journal of Development Economics, Journal of Economic Perspectives, Journal of Risk and Uncertainty and Journal of Public Economics.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Finn Førsund & Nikias Sarafoglou, 2002.
"On the Origins of Data Envelopment Analysis,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 17(1), pages 23-40, January.
- Pantelis Kalaitzidakis & Theofanis P. Mamuneas & Thanasis Stengos, 2010.
"An Updated Ranking of Academic Journals in Economics,"
1009, University of Guelph, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Pantelis Kalaitzidakis & Theofanis P. Mamuneas & Thanasis Stengos, 2011. "An updated ranking of academic journals in economics," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 44(4), pages 1525-1538, November.
- Pantelis Kalaitzidakis & Theofanis P. Mamuneas & Thanasis Stengos, 2010. "An Updated Ranking of Academic Journals in Economics," Working Paper Series 15_10, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Halkos, George & Tzeremes, Nickolaos, 2011.
"Measuring economic journals’ citation efficiency: A data envelopment analysis approach,"
29893, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- George Emm. Halkos & Nickolaos G. Tzeremes, 2011. "Measuring Economic Journals' Citation Efficiency: A Data Envelopment Analysis Approach," EERI Research Paper Series EERI_RP_2011_13, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Francesc Pujol, 2008.
"Ranking Journals Following a Matching Model Approach: An Application to Public Economics Journals,"
Journal of Public Economic Theory,
Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 10(1), pages 55-76, 02.
- Francesc Pujol, . "Ranking Journals Following a Matching Model Approach. An Application to Public Economics Journals," Faculty Working Papers 12/06, School of Economics and Business Administration, University of Navarra.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Førsund, Finn R. & Kittelsen, Sverre A. & Krivonozhko, Vladimir E., 2007. "Farrell Revisited: Visualising the DEA Production Frontier," Memorandum 15/2007, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Klaus Ritzberger, 2008. "A Ranking of Journals in Economics and Related Fields," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 9, pages 402-430, November.
- Liebowitz, S J & Palmer, J P, 1984. "Assessing the Relative Impacts of Economic Journals," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 22(1), pages 77-88, March.
- Burton, M P & Phimister, Euan, 1995. "Core Journals: A Reappraisal of the Diamond List," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 105(429), pages 361-73, March.
- Pantelis Kalaitzidakis & Theofanis P. Mamuneas & Thanasis Stengos, 2003.
"Rankings of Academic Journals and Institutions in Economics,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 1(6), pages 1346-1366, December.
- Pantelis Kalaitzidakis & Theofanis P Mamuneas & Thanasis Stengos, 2001. "Rankings of Academic Journals and Institutions in Economics," Discussion Papers in Economics 01/8, Department of Economics, University of Leicester.
- Halkos, George & Tzeremes, Nickolaos, 2012. "Ranking accounting, banking and finance journals: A note," MPRA Paper 36166, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:36198. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.