Target variation in a loss avoiding pension fund problem
This study builds on the findings in Krawczyk (2008), where a 'cautious relaxed' utility measure is introduced in the solving of a dynamic portfolio management problem. The new measure provides distributions that are left skewed in contrast to the right skewed distributions previously found. This paper builds on these findings by testing the effect of increasing the client's target and introducing the manager's preferences. It is found that increasing the target causes the distribution to become less left skewed, causing higher probabilities of loss. The pension fund manager considering his own payoff does not significantly affect the results and in some cases improves them.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tversky, Amos & Kahneman, Daniel, 1992. " Advances in Prospect Theory: Cumulative Representation of Uncertainty," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 5(4), pages 297-323, October.
- Samuelson, Paul A, 1969. "Lifetime Portfolio Selection by Dynamic Stochastic Programming," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 51(3), pages 239-46, August.
- Berkelaar, A.B. & Kouwenberg, R.R.P., 2000.
"Optimal portfolio choice under loss aversion,"
Econometric Institute Research Papers
EI 2000-08/A, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Azzato, Jeffrey & Krawczyk, Jacek B & Sissons, Christopher, 2011. "On loss-avoiding lump-sum pension optimization with contingent targets," Working Paper Series 1532, Victoria University of Wellington, School of Economics and Finance.
- Azzato, Jeffrey D. & Krawczyk, Jacek B., 2008. "A parallel Matlab package for approximating the solution to a continuous-time stochastic optimal control problem," MPRA Paper 9993, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Alistair Windsor & Jacek B. Krawczyk, 1997. "A Matlab Package for Approximating the Solution to a Continuous- Time Stochastic Optimal Control Problem," Computational Economics 9710002, EconWPA.
- Samuelson, Paul A, 1974. "Comments on the Favorable-Bet Theorem," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 12(3), pages 345-55, September.
- Azzato, Jeffrey & Krawczyk, Jacek, 2006. "SOCSol4L An improved MATLAB package for approximating the solution to a continuous-time stochastic optimal control problem," MPRA Paper 1179, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Yiu, K. F. C., 2004. "Optimal portfolios under a value-at-risk constraint," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 28(7), pages 1317-1334, April.
- K.K. Thampi & M.J. Jacob, 2008. "On loss-avoiding payoff distribution in a dynamic portfolio management problem," Journal of Risk Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 9(2), pages 151-172, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:36177. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.