Technology intensity of Indian merchandise exports
In the light of substantive improvement in the India’s export performance, this paper examines whether our exports have diversified to more technology intensive products. The analysis is focused mainly on merchandise export of India in the post liberalised period. The classification of merchandise export according to their technology intensity is based on OECD classification for the same. The analysis is done at 2-digit level for all commodities and at 3-digit level for some selected commodities. The study reveals that, India’s Export is dominated by medium-low technology intensive commodities. Export of low technology intensive is still prominent, while medium-high technology is showing signs of improvement, especially in recent periods. India has still to go long way, before making a mark in export of high technology intensive commodities.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Meyer, Thomas, 2007.
"India's specialisation in IT exports: Offshoring can't defy gravity,"
27, Deutsche Bank Research.
- Meyer, Thomas, 2007. "India's specialisation in IT exports: Offshoring can't defy gravity," MPRA Paper 5780, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Aradhna Aggarwal, 2007.
"Liberalisation, Multinational Enterprises and Export Performance: Evidence from Indian Manufacturing,"
- A. Aggarwal, 2002. "Liberalisation, Multinational Enterprises and Export Performance: Evidence from Indian Manufacturing," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(3), pages 119-137.
- Manoj Pant, 1993. "Export performance, Transnational Corporations and the Manufacturing Sector: A Case Study of India," Indian Economic Review, Department of Economics, Delhi School of Economics, vol. 28(1), pages 41-54, January.
- Sanjaya Lall, 1986. "Technological development and export performance in LDCs: Leading engineering and chemical firms in India," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 122(1), pages 80-92, March.
- Lall, Sanjaya & Kumar, Rajiv, 1981. "Firm-level export performance in an inward-looking economy: The Indian engineering industry," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 9(5), pages 453-463, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:35694. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.