Pauvreté en Guinée de 1994 à 2007: Tendances, perceptions, et priorités des ménages
[Poverty in Guinea from 1994 to 2007: Trends, Perceptions, and Household Priorities]
Since 2003, Guinea has been affected by a deep economic crisis that has contributed to exacerbating already high levels of poverty. This paper documents poverty trends in Guinea using the last three household surveys available, implemented in 1994/95, 2002/03, and 2007. The estimates suggest that the share of the population living in poverty increased to 53,0 percent in 2007 from 49,1 percent in 2002. Data on household perceptions confirm that standards of living have been negatively affected and it is likely that the increase in food prices observed recently contributed to an additional increase in poverty levels. These findings should however not lead to fatalism. Between 1994 and 2002, a period during which the economy benefited from strong GDP growth, the analysis of the 1994/95 and 2002/03 surveys suggests that the share of the population in poverty fell from 62,6 percent in 1994 to 49,1 percent in 2002. Thus if the country’s economy were to rebound and perform strongly in the future leading to growth in GDP per capita, poverty could be reduced again.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Saikou Amadou Diallo & Paul Makdissi, 2008. "Est-ce que les subsides d'électricité diminuent la pauvreté en Guinée ?," Working Papers 0811E, University of Ottawa, Department of Economics.
- Coulombe, Harold & Wodon, Quentin, 2008. "Assessing the geographic impact of higher food prices in Guinea," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4743, The World Bank.
- B. Essama-Nssah, 2007. "A poverty-focused evaluation of commodity tax options," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(8), pages 1114-1130.
- Christiaensen, Luc & Scott, Christopher & Wodon, Quentin, 2002. "Poverty Measurement and Analysis," MPRA Paper 45362, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Datt, Gaurav & Ravallion, Martin, 1992. "Growth and redistribution components of changes in poverty measures : A decomposition with applications to Brazil and India in the 1980s," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 275-295, April.
- Essama-Nssah, B., 2007. "A poverty-focused evaluation of commodity tax options," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4245, The World Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:34380. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.