The determinants of household poverty in Sri Lanka: 2006/2007
This study examines the Micro-level factors associated with household poverty in Sri Lanka using latest Household Income and Expenditure Surveys (HIES) data in 2006/07 employing OLS, quintile and probit regressions. The results of the probit regression indicate that, the major determinants of household poverty in Sri Lanka are human capital related factors which can be link to the labour market and remittances. Further, qunatile regression shows that education and foreign remittances have significant positive effect on standard of living in Sri Lanka regardless the sector.
|Date of creation:||20 Aug 2010|
|Date of revision:||20 Oct 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Koenker, Roger W & Bassett, Gilbert, Jr, 1978. "Regression Quantiles," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 33-50, January.
- Datt, Gaurav & Ravallion, Martin, 1992. "Growth and redistribution components of changes in poverty measures : A decomposition with applications to Brazil and India in the 1980s," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 275-295, April.
- Lanjouw, Peter & Ravallion, Martin & DEC, 1994.
"Poverty and household size,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1332, The World Bank.
- Indunil De Silva, 2008. "Micro-level determinants of poverty reduction in Sri Lanka: a multivariate approach," International Journal of Social Economics, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 35(3), pages 140-158, March.
- Glewwe, Paul, 1991.
"Investigating the determinants of household welfare in Cote d'Ivoire,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 307-337, April.
- Glewwe, P., 1990. "Investigating The Determinants Of Household Welfare In Cote D'Ivoire," Papers 71, World Bank - Living Standards Measurement.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:34174. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.