Monetary aggregates in Pakistan: theoretical and empirical underpinnings
The objective of this study is to analyze theoretical as well as empirical soundness of the current monetary aggregates (M2) and to propose a broader monetary aggregate (M3), by exploring the functional characteristics and empirical relevance of financial assets. We used annual time series data from FY76 to FY03 and employed both the functional and empirical (F-M dual criteria) approaches. The results indicate that current monetary aggregates seemed to have been defined more on functional considerations compared to the empirical evidence. The analysis of new set of financial assets suggests that, while the various savings schemes individually as well as in aggregate were able to meet F-M dual criteria, deposits of NBFIs failed to satisfy this criteria. However, the functional considerations suggest that these deposits should, nevertheless, be included in a broader definition of monetary aggregates (M3).
|Date of creation:||Apr 2005|
|Date of revision:||2005|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Laidler, David, 1969. "The Definition of Money: Theoretical and Empirical Problems," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 1(3), pages 508-525, August.
- Moroney, John R & Wilbratte, Barry J, 1976. "Money and Money Substitutes: A Time Series Analysis of Household Portfolios," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 8(2), pages 181-198, May.
- Ewe-Ghee Lim & Subramanian S Sriram, 2003. "Factors Underlying the Definition of Broad Money; An Examination of Recent U.S. Monetary Statistics and Practices of Other Countries," IMF Working Papers 03/62, .
- Laumas, Gurcharan S, 1969. "Savings Deposits in the Definition of Money," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 77(6), pages 892-896, Nov./Dec..
- NAJAM us SAQIB & ALlY A H. KHAN, 1988. "On an Empirical Definition of Money for Pakistan," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 27(4), pages 853-859.
- Milton Friedman & Anna Jacobson Schwartz, 1970. "Introduction to "Monetary Statistics of the United States: Estimates, Sources, Methods"," NBER Chapters, in: Monetary Statistics of the United States: Estimates, Sources, Methods, pages 1-85 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alfred Broaddus, 1975. "Aggregating the monetary aggregates : concepts and issues," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue Nov.
- John R. Walter, 1989. "Monetary aggregates: a user's guide," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue Jan, pages 20-28.
- Syed Muhammad Tariq & Kent Matthews, 1997. "The Demand for Simple-sum and Divisia Monetary Aggregates for Pakistan: A Cointegration Approach," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 36(3), pages 275-291.
- Koot, Ronald S, 1975. "A Factor Analytic Approach to an Empirical Definition of Money," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 30(4), pages 1081-1089, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:31430. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.