Performance e profili delle imprese multinazionali del quarto capitalismo
[Performance and profiles of the multinational firms of fourth capitalism]
The objective of this paper is to evaluate the performance and outline a profile of the medium and medium-large size italian multinational firms. The work concentrates specifically on industrial multinational firms of “fourth capitalism” - that is the set of the medium and medium-large industrial firms - that show to be stronger on foreign markets, either through exports or through foreign direct investment. The analysis unveils the underlying innovation model of multinational firms of “fourth capitalism" and shows the complex strategy towards internationalization of these firms, where innovation has a key role, but equally important are the flexibility and specialization in production, since these elements will guide the choices to invest and produce abroad. Also the commercial dimension, which leads at the direct supervision of foreign markets and at looking very carefully at customers, has a strategic function. Finally, the work highlights some critical issues such as the cost of burocracy, the high tax rate, an insufficient institutional support for internazionalization.
|Date of creation:||May 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Giorgio Barba Navaretti & Matteo Bugamelli & Fabiano Schivardi & Carlo Altomonte & Daniel Horgos & Daniela Maggioni, . "The global operations of European firms - The second EFIGE policy report," Blueprints, Bruegel, number 581, June.
- Elhanan Helpman, 2006.
"Trade, FDI, and the Organization of Firms,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
2118, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Francesca De Girolamo & Lucia Piscitello, 2010. "Il successo internazionale delle PMI italiane: quali competenze distintive?," ECONOMIA E POLITICA INDUSTRIALE, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2010(3), pages 189-200.
- Hagedoorn, John, 1995. "Strategic technology partnering during the 1980s: Trends, networks and corporate patterns in non-core technologies," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 207-231, March.
- James R. Tybout, 2001. "Plant- and Firm-Level Evidence on "New" Trade Theories," NBER Working Papers 8418, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Matteo Bugamelli & Luigi Infante, 2003. "Sunk Costs of Exports," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 469, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Arndt, Sven W. & Kierzkowski, Henryk (ed.), 2001. "Fragmentation: New Production Patterns in the World Economy," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199243310, July.
- Daniele Schilirò & Maria Musca, 2010. "Le Medie Imprese Multinazionali del Quarto Capitalismo," CRANEC - Working Papers del Centro di Ricerche in Analisi economica e sviluppo economico internazionale crn1002, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Centro di Ricerche in Analisi economica e sviluppo economico internazionale (CRANEC).
- Colli Andrea, 2005. "Il quarto capitalismo," L'industria, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 2, pages 219-236.
- Daniele Schilirò, 2008. "Investing in Knowledge: Knowledge, Human Capital and Institutions for the Long Run Growth," CRANEC - Working Papers del Centro di Ricerche in Analisi economica e sviluppo economico internazionale crn0804, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Centro di Ricerche in Analisi economica e sviluppo economico internazionale (CRANEC).
- Marco Mutinelli & Sergio Mariotti, 2009. "L'evoluzione delle imprese multinazionali italiane e il ruolo del quarto capitalismo," ECONOMIA E POLITICA INDUSTRIALE, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 36(1), pages 123-134.
- Robert C. Feenstra, 1998.
"Integration of Trade and Disintegration of Production in the Global Economy,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 12(4), pages 31-50, Fall.
- Robert Feenstra, 2003. "Integration Of Trade And Disintegration Of Production In The Global Economy," Working Papers 986, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Robert C. Feenstra, . "Integration Of Trade And Disintegration Of Production In The Global Economy," Department of Economics 98-06, California Davis - Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:30894. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.