Combining geoprocessing and interregional input-output systems: An application to the State of São Paulo in Brazil
This work develops a method for the construction of input-output systems capable of estimating the flows of goods and services among cities, having in view that the creation of accurate strategies depends on the regional peculiarities incorporated in the scope of the economic planning researches. The study innovates by combining geoprocessing with inputoutput theory elements, facilitating the interpretation of the information available on the extensive data set of interregional input-output systems. The analytical potential is showed through a panoramic evaluation of the São Paulo State supply and demand relations, and by the application of the estimated input-output system to a study of the regional impacts of the “Bolsa Familia” Program, an income transfer program from the Federal government. The results show that this program must be understood not only as a form of income transference, but also as a catalytic agent for decreasing the regional inequality inside the state.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sesso Filho, Umberto Antonio & Guilhoto, Joaquim José Martins, 2009.
"Estrutura produtiva do Pará: Uma análise de insumo-produto
[Production structure of Para: An Analysis of input-output]," MPRA Paper 30732, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Robinson, Sherman & Cattaneo, Andrea & El-Said, Moataz, 2000.
"Updating and estimating a Social Accounting Matrix using cross entropy methods,"
TMD discussion papers
58, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Sherman Robinson & Andrea Cattaneo & Moataz El-Said, 2001. "Updating and Estimating a Social Accounting Matrix Using Cross Entropy Methods," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(1), pages 47-64.
- Ranko Bon, 1984. "Comparative Stability Analysis of Multiregional Input-Output Models: Column, Row, and Leontief-Strout Gravity Coefficient Models," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 99(4), pages 791-815.
- Guilhoto, Joaquim José Martins & Hewings, Geoffrey J.D. & Takashiba, Eliza H. & Silva, Lana M.S da, 2003. "Combining geographical information systems and input-output models: concept and initial ideas," MPRA Paper 54607, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Heejoo Ham & Tschangho John Kim & David E. Boyce, 2002. "Economic impacts of transportation network changes: Implementation of a combined transportation network and input-output model," Papers in Regional Science, Springer;Regional Science Association International, vol. 81(2), pages 223-246.
- Sungbin Cho & Peter Gordon & James E. Moore II & Harry W. Richardson & Masanobu Shinozuka & Stephanie Chang, 2001. "Integrating Transportation Network and Regional Economic Models to Estimate the Costs of a Large Urban Earthquake," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(1), pages 39-65.
- Patrick Canning & Zhi Wang, 2005. "A Flexible Mathematical Programming Model to Estimate Interregional Input-Output Accounts," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(3), pages 539-563.
- Guilhoto, J. J. M. & Sesso Filho, U. A., 2005.
"Estimação da Matriz Insumo-Produto a Partir De Dados Preliminares das Contas Nacionais
[Estimation of input-output matrix using preliminary data from national accounts]," MPRA Paper 38212, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Louis de Mesnard, 2004.
"Understanding the Shortcomings of Commodity-based Technology in Input-Output Models: an Economic-Circuit Approach,"
Journal of Regional Science,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(1), pages 125-141.
- Louis De Mesnard, 2004. "Understanding the shortcomings of commodity-based technology in input-output models: an economic-circuit approach," Post-Print halshs-00068417, HAL.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:30696. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.