Liquidity, volume and dividend yields in stock return data: Evidence from London Stock Exchange
This paper investigates monthly liquidity in FTSE 100 equity index in London Stock Exchange over the period 1986 to 2005. The relationship between excess returns, order flow, dividend yields and earning-price ratio was examined using GARCH(1,1). The variables found insignificant, but the unexpected shocks were significant. This research also examined financial crises in October 1987 and in August 1998 as dummy variables in excess returns. These dummies found to have great impact in excess returns and seemed to be very significant. The results of our analysis appear to be in contrast with the existing literature.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Publication status:||Published in International Journal of Financial Economics and Econometrics No2.Vol. 1(2009): pp. 79-88|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tauchen, George E & Pitts, Mark, 1983. "The Price Variability-Volume Relationship on Speculative Markets," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(2), pages 485-505, March.
- Chordia, Tarun & Subrahmanyam, Avanidhar & Anshuman, V. Ravi, 2001. "Trading activity and expected stock returns," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 3-32, January.
- Tarun Chordia & Asani Sarkar & Avanidhar Subrahmanyam, 2003. "An empirical analysis of stock and bond market liquidity," Staff Reports 164, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Epps, Thomas W & Epps, Mary Lee, 1976. "The Stochastic Dependence of Security Price Changes and Transaction Volumes: Implications for the Mixture-of-Distributions Hypothesis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(2), pages 305-321, March.
- Xing, Xuejing & Howe, John S., 2003. "The empirical relationship between risk and return: evidence from the UK stock market," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 329-346.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:30078. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.