The Determinants of Self-Eployment in Pakistan: Evidence From Primary Data Analysis
Abstract: The foremost objective of this paper is to investigate the various determinants of self-employment in Pakistan, considering primary source of data at the district level. The sample of 494 workers residing in Bahawalpur district has been interviewed. We have employed Logistic Regression technique to estimate the determinants of self-employment model. The study concludes that experience and age of the workers have positive and significant impact on self-employment. Moreover, educational attainment and good health variables have also significant and positive influence on workers’ decision to be self-employed. Based on the results and discussions, study suggests that government should provide technical and agricultural education at basic and secondary level to the workers. It is also concluded that health facilities should be provided at the massive scale particularly in rural areas.
|Date of creation:||15 Jun 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Journal of Political Studies Summer.17(2010): pp. 151-165|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:pid:journl:v:28:y:1989:i:4:p:777-788 is not listed on IDEAS
- Yannis Georgellis & Howard Wall, 2005.
"Gender differences in self-employment,"
International Review of Applied Economics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(3), pages 321-342.
- Thi Quynh Trang Do & Gérard Duchêne, 2008.
"Determinants of self-employment : the case in Vietnam,"
Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne
v08038, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Thi Quynh Trang Do & Gérard Duchêne, 2007. "Determinants of self-employment : the case in Vietnam," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00281588, HAL.
- Evans, David S & Jovanovic, Boyan, 1989. "An Estimated Model of Entrepreneurial Choice under Liquidity Constraints," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(4), pages 808-27, August.
- Amelie Constant & Klaus Zimmermann, 2006.
"The Making of Entrepreneurs in Germany: Are Native Men and Immigrants Alike?,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 26(3), pages 279-300, 04.
- Constant, Amelie F. & Zimmermann, Klaus F., 2004. "The Making of Entrepreneurs in Germany: Are Native Men and Immigrants Alike?," IZA Discussion Papers 1440, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Yamada, Gustavo, 1996. "Urban Informal Employment and Self-Employment in Developing Countries: Theory and Evidence," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 44(2), pages 289-314, January.
- Gill, Andrew M, 1988. "Choice of Employment Status and the Wages of Employees and the Self-employed: Some Further Evidence," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 3(3), pages 229-34, July-Sept.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:28196. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.