The institution of a stockmarket in a socialist economy: Notes on the Chinese economic reform program
This paper is concerned with three questions: (a) how would a stockmarket help economic and industrial development in a country like China; (b) will a stockmarket be system-compatible; and (c) if a full-fledged stockmarket is indeed introduced in a socialist economy, can its “negative influences” (speculation, booms and crashes) be minimized? These issues are examined analytically with the help of empirical evidence of stockmarket behavior in advanced and newly industrializing economies. Although the paper considers the specific case of China, the argument is more general and has application to other developing as well as centrally planned economies.
|Date of creation:||1990|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nuti, D. M., 1988. "Competitive valuation and efficiency of capital investment in the socialist economy," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(2-3), pages 459-464, March.
- Cosh, A. D. & Hughes, A. & Lee, K. & Singh, A., 1989. "Institutional investment, mergers and the market for corporate control," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 73-100, March.
- Mayer, Colin, 1988.
"New issues in corporate finance,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 1167-1183, June.
- Whittington, G, 1972. "The Profitability of Retained Earnings," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 54(2), pages 152-60, May.
- Henry G. Manne, 1965. "Mergers and the Market for Corporate Control," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 73, pages 110.
- Henry G. Manne, 1965. "Mergers and the Market for Corporate Control," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 73, pages 351.
- Cable, John R, 1985. "Capital Market Information and Industrial Performance: The Role of West German Banks," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 95(377), pages 118-32, March.
- Summers, Lawrence H, 1986. " Does the Stock Market Rationally Reflect Fundamental Values?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 41(3), pages 591-601, July.
- Tibor Scitovsky, 1954. "Two Concepts of External Economies," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 62, pages 143.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:24324. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.