Edith Penrose and a learning-based perspective on the MNE and OLI
We apply insights from Edith Penrose’s work to extant theory of the multinational enterprise (MNE) as enveloped by John Dunning’s Ownership, Location, Internalization (OLI) Paradigm. We suggest that Penrose’s knowledge-based approach has important implications on the nature of, and the interactions between, O, L and I. Importantly, the resource/knowledge-based perspective of Penrose helps endogenize and integrate the three elements of Dunning’s triad in the context of a dynamic, strategic and forward-looking knowledge-based perspective of the MNE.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Management International Review 2.47(2007): pp. 207-219|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dunning, John H., 2000. "The eclectic paradigm as an envelope for economic and business theories of MNE activity," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 163-190, April.
- Bruce Kogut & Udo Zander, 1993. "Knowledge of the Firm and the Evolutionary Theory of the Multinational Corporation," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 24(4), pages 625-645, December.
- John H Dunning, 1988. "The Eclectic Paradigm of International Production: A Restatement and Some Possible Extensions," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 19(1), pages 1-31, March.
- Pitelis, Christos N., 2004. "Edith Penrose and the resource-based view of (international) business strategy," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 523-532, August.
- Pitelis, Christos (ed.), 2002. "The Growth of the Firm: The Legacy of Edith Penrose," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199248520.
- John H Dunning, 1998. "Location and the Multinational Enterprise: A Neglected Factor?," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 29(1), pages 45-66, March.
- Christos N. Pitelis, 2002. "Stephen Hymer: Life and the Political Economy of Multinational Corporate Capital," Contributions to Political Economy, Oxford University Press, vol. 21(1), pages 9-26, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:24318. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.