Factors influencing the Internationalisation of Firms: Micro Foundations of Macro Determinants
We draw on insights from the theory of the multinational enterprise (MNE) to explain outward investment and (thus) internationalisation. We claim that micro insights from the work of Stephen Hymer, Edith Penrose and other extant theories of the MNE can serve as micro foundations of some macro determinants of internationalisation. The focus on macro determinants pursues and develops an earlier critique of the theory of the MNE by Penrose; that it fails to distinguish between intra-national and inter-national expansion of firms. We propose demand-side national business cycle considerations as a Penrose-inspired answer to the Penrosean critique. Our evidence derives from USA and UK data, supports insights from Hymer, Vernon, Penrose and our response to the Penrosean challenge.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Whitaker Square, Sir John Rogerson's Quay, Dublin 2|
Phone: (353-1) 863 2000
Fax: (353-1) 863 2100
Web page: http://www.esri.ie
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pesaran, M. H. & Shin, Y. & Smith, R. J., 1996. "Testing for the 'Existence of a Long-run Relationship'," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9622, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Bruce Kogut & Udo Zander, 1993. "Knowledge of the Firm and the Evolutionary Theory of the Multinational Corporation," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 24(4), pages 625-645, December.
- Pitelis, Christos, 1996. "Effective Demand, Outward Investment and the (Theory of the) Transnational Corporation: An Empirical Investigation," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 43(2), pages 192-206, May.
- Pitelis, Christos N., 2004. "Edith Penrose and the resource-based view of (international) business strategy," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 523-532, August.
- repec:crs:wpaper:9645 is not listed on IDEAS
- Charles P. Kindleberger, 2002. "Stephen Hymer and the Multinational Corporation," Contributions to Political Economy, Oxford University Press, vol. 21(1), pages 5-7, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:esr:wpaper:dynreg36. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sarah Burns)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.