Classifying Behaviors in Risky Choices
This paper presents a nonparametric approach to classification of data from lottery experiments. Using very basic mathematical tools the paper endeavors to answer the questions: How to determine the “average” subject in a group? How to find a subject presenting the most similar behavior to a given one? How to detect outlier subject(s)? How to classify behaviors by their dissimilarity from the perfectly rational decision maker? How to rank subjects by risk attitudes? How to cluster subjects? This paper demonstrates that the answer to all of these questions may be found non-parametrically, without the use of any specific model.
|Date of creation:||12 Jul 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John Hey & Andrea Morone & Ulrich Schmidt, 2009.
"Noise and bias in eliciting preferences,"
Journal of Risk and Uncertainty,
Springer, vol. 39(3), pages 213-235, December.
- John D. Hey & Andrea Morone & Ulrich Schmidt, 2007. "Noise and Bias in Eliciting Preferences," Kiel Working Papers 1386, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- John D Hey & Andrea Morone & Ulrich Schmidt, 2007. "Noise and Bias in Eliciting Preferences," Discussion Papers 07/04, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Schmidt, Ulrich & Traub, Stefan, 2009.
"An experimental investigation of the disparity between WTA and WTP for lotteries,"
Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy
28786, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Ulrich Schmidt & Stefan Traub, 2009. "An Experimental Investigation of the Disparity Between WTA and WTP for Lotteries," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 66(3), pages 229-262, March.
- Traub, Stefan & Schmidt, Ulrich, 2006. "An Experimental Investigation of the Disparity between WTA and WTP for Lotteries," Economics Working Papers 2006,09, Christian-Albrechts-University of Kiel, Department of Economics.
- Kontek, Krzysztof, 2010. "Multi-Outcome Lotteries: Prospect Theory vs. Relative Utility," MPRA Paper 22947, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:23845. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.