European gas regulation: a change of focus
This paper confronts the current European gas regulation with the emerging new energy paradigm. It argues that due to a lack of policy credibility, the hold-up problem is a serious threat that will undermine the workings of the future EU gas market. This paper explores how one could from a theoretical perspective, given the characteristics of the EU gas markets, try to solve the hold-up problem. Two conclusions are 1) that hold-up will not be solved completely and 2) that in order to solve the hold-up problem as much as possible, the underlying assumption of energy policy should be changed. More specifically, the regulatory focus should no longer emphasize predominantly the consumer interests, but should instead more explicitly recognize producer interests. This implies that the current European gas regulation requires a change of focus.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Newbery, David M., 2001.
"Economic reform in Europe: integrating and liberalizing the market for services,"
Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 85-97, June.
- Newbery, David M G, 2002. "Economic Reform in Europe: Integrating and Liberalizing the Market for Services," CEPR Discussion Papers 3183, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Williamson, Oliver E., 1989.
"Transaction cost economics,"
Handbook of Industrial Organization,
in: R. Schmalensee & R. Willig (ed.), Handbook of Industrial Organization, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 3, pages 135-182
- Steven Tadelis & Oliver E.Williamson, 2012.
"Transaction Cost Economics
[The Handbook of Organizational Economics]," Introductory Chapters, Princeton University Press.
- Steven Tadelis & Oliver E.Williamson, 2012. "Transaction Cost Economics
- Williamson, Oliver E, 1971. "The Vertical Integration of Production: Market Failure Considerations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(2), pages 112-23, May.
- Bruno Biais & Enrico Perotti, 2002. "Machiavellian Privatization," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(1), pages 240-258, March.
- Klaus M. Schmidt, 1998.
"The Political Economy of Mass Privatization and the Risk of Expropriation,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
136, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Schmidt, Klaus M., 2000. "The political economy of mass privatization and the risk of expropriation," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 393-421, February.
- Schmidt, Klaus M., 2000. "The political economy of mass privatization and the risk of expropriation," Munich Reprints in Economics 19771, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Schmidt, Klaus M., 1997. "The Political Economy of Mass Privatization and the Risk of Expropriation," CEPR Discussion Papers 1542, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Paul Levine & John Stern & Francesc Trillas, 2005. "Utility price regulation and time inconsistency: comparisons with monetary policy," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 57(3), pages 447-478, July.
- Spiller, Pablo T, 1996. "Institutions and Commitment," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 5(2), pages 421-52.
- Lewis, Tracy R & Sappington, David E M, 1990. "Sequential Regulatory Oversight," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 2(4), pages 327-48, December.
- Sioshansi, Fereidoon P., 2005. "Global climate change: here to stay," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 240-246, September.
- Armstrong, Mark & Sappington, David E.M., 2007. "Recent Developments in the Theory of Regulation," Handbook of Industrial Organization, Elsevier.
- Dieter Helm, 2005. "The Assessment: The New Energy Paradigm," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 21(1), pages 1-18, Spring.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:21146. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.