An Efficiency Analysis of European Countries' Railways
This study uses stochastic frontier analysis for estimating efficiencies of railways systems in European countries. We consider railways as a system which uses its infrastructure (length of lines worked, numbers of cars and wagons, staff strength) and a scale of market (number of habitants and tourists) for transporting passengers and freights. We estimate efficiencies of freight and passenger transportations separately on the base of different models. We use the database provided by International Union of Railways, which includes annual statistical data about biggest European railways companies from 1997 to 2006 to estimate model parameters. Railways systems show huge variations in technical efficiency between different countries and also between freight and passenger transportation within the same country. The study also contains the analysis of dependencies between calculated railways efficiency estimates and popular economic indicators.
|Date of creation:||24 Aug 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Heike Wetzel, 2008. "European Railway Deregulation: The Influence of Regulatory and Environmental Conditions on Efficiency," Working Paper Series in Economics 86, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Jondrow, James & Knox Lovell, C. A. & Materov, Ivan S. & Schmidt, Peter, 1982. "On the estimation of technical inefficiency in the stochastic frontier production function model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2-3), pages 233-238, August.
- Friebel, Guido & Ivaldi, Marc & Vibes, Catherine, 2004.
"Railway (De)Regulation: A European Efficiency Comparison,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4319, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Friebel, Guido & Ivaldi, Marc & Vibes, Catherine, 2003. "Railway (De) Regulation : A European Efficiency Comparison," IDEI Working Papers 221, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse, revised 2007.
- Stevenson, Rodney E., 1980. "Likelihood functions for generalized stochastic frontier estimation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 57-66, May.
- José Manuel Pastor Monsálvez & Lorenzo Serrano Martínez & Pedro Cantos, 2002. "Cost And Revenue Inefficiencies In The European Railways," Working Papers. Serie EC 2002-10, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Mette Asmild & Torben Holvad & Jens Hougaard & Dorte Kronborg, 2009.
"Railway reforms: do they influence operating efficiency?,"
Springer, vol. 36(5), pages 617-638, September.
- Mette Asmild & Torben Holvad & Jens Leth Hougaard & Dorte Kronborg, 2008. "Railway reforms: Do they influence operating efficiency?," Discussion Papers 08-05, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:20922. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.