Does currency substitution affect exchange rate uncertainty? the case of Turkey
In this paper, we investigate whether the currency substitution can affect the exchange rate uncertainty for the Turkish economy. Considering the whole time period 1987M01-2006M12 as well as thesub-periods 1987M01-1999M12 and 2001M03-2006M12 for sensitivity analysis, our estimation results employing contemporaneous exponential GARCH (EGARCH) methodology of Nelson (1991) indicate that currency substitution leads to the exchange rate uncertainty. Besides, conditional variance reacts more to past positive shocks than to negative innovations of equal size.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," EERI Research Paper Series EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Nelson, Daniel B, 1991. "Conditional Heteroskedasticity in Asset Returns: A New Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 347-70, March.
- Choudhry, Taufiq, 1995. "High inflation rates and the long-run money demand function: Evidence from cointegration tests," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 77-91.
- Guillermo Calvo & Carlos A. VÃ©gh Gramont, 1992.
"Currency Substitution in Developing Countries; An Introduction,"
IMF Working Papers
92/40, International Monetary Fund.
- Calvo, Guillermo & Vegh, Carlos, 1992. "Currency Substitution in Developing Countries: An Introduction," MPRA Paper 20338, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Akcay, O. Cevdet & Alper, C. Emre & Karasulu, Meral, 1997. "Currency substitution and exchange rate instability: The Turkish case," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(3-5), pages 827-835, April.
- Ding, Zhuanxin & Granger, Clive W. J. & Engle, Robert F., 1993. "A long memory property of stock market returns and a new model," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 83-106, June.
- Alberto Giovannini & Bart Turtelboom, 1992. "Currency Substitution," NBER Working Papers 4232, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Domac, Ilker & Mendoza, Alfonso, 2004. "Is there room for foreign exchange interventions under an inflation targeting framework ? Evidence from Mexico and Turkey," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3288, The World Bank.
- Faruk Seļuk, 1997. "GMM estimation of currency substitution in a high-inflation economy: evidence from Turkey," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 4(4), pages 225-227.
- Ilker Domac & Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee, 2002. "between Dollarization and Inflation : Evidence from Turkey," Discussion Papers 0207, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:20319. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.