Unorganised Manufacturing Industry in the Era of Globalization: A Study of Punjab
The recent developments in the theory of industrial organisation have underlined the importance of small scale industry. Small industry can be equally competitive in the fast changing global economy provided it exploits economies of scale and scope while locating itself in clusters along with making technological progress endogenous. This study situates Punjab’s small scale industry in the context of recent developments both in theory and practice This study by utilising the NSSO data for the period 1994-95 to 2000-01 points out that Punjab’s unorganised industry has emerged distinctly among its counterparts in other major Indian states by recording sufficiently high growth in employment, relatively high usage of capital and labour productivity etc. It along with exploring the structure of Punjab’s unorganised industry has also identified major problems faced by it. Policy issues have been raised to draw the attention of the policy makers towards small industry so that it can become competitive in the fast globalising industrial economy.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dosi, Giovanni, 1988. "Sources, Procedures, and Microeconomic Effects of Innovation," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 26(3), pages 1120-71, September.
- Audretsch, David B & Thurik, A R Roy, 2000.
"Impeded Industrial Restructuring: The Growth Penalty,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2648, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Audretsch, David B, et al, 2002. "Impeded Industrial Restructuring: The Growth Penalty," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 55(1), pages 81-97.
- Audretsch, David B. & Carree, Martin A. & van Stel, André J. & Thurik, A. Roy, 2000. "Impeded industrial restructuring : the growth penalty," HWWA Discussion Papers 114, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- D.B. Audretsch & M.A. Carree & A.J. van Stel & A.R. Thurik, 2000. "Impeded Industrial Restructuring: The Growth Penalty," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 00-095/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Mukherjee, Dipa, 2004. "Informal Manufacturing Sector in India: Pre and Post Reform Growth Dynamics," MPRA Paper 4866, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rabellotti, Roberta, 1995. "Is there an "industrial district model"? Footwear districts in Italy and Mexico compared," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 29-41, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:197. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.