Financial systems and banking crises: An assessment
Traditionally an old concern among economists has referred to the effects that specific financial systems may have on economic performance. Here we investigate the “stylised facts” among financial systems and banking crises by using individual and principal-components indicators and sets of OLS regressions. The study relies on a set of banking fragility, financial structure and development indicators for a sample of 47 economies between 1990 and 1997. The stylised facts suggest that financial development is associated to financial systems leaded by stock and securities markets. Furthermore the evidence suggests that such association is magnified during episodes of borderline or systemic banking crises. Thus what our findings might suggest is that banking crises may encourage financial development and the transformation of financial systems into market-based ones.
|Date of creation:||05 Jan 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Revista Mexicana de Economía y Finanzas (Mexican Journal of Economics and Finance) Issue 1.v.5(2006): pp. 13-27|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frederic S. Mishkin, 1999. "Global Financial Instability: Framework, Events, Issues," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 13(4), pages 3-20, Fall.
- Jose A. Lopez & Mark M. Spiegel, 2002. "Financial structure and macroeconomic performance over the short and long run," Pacific Basin Working Paper Series 2002-05, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Ben Bernanke & Mark Gertler, 1987.
"Financial Fragility and Economic Performance,"
NBER Working Papers
2318, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Franklin Allen, 2001. "Financial Structure and Financial Crisis," International Review of Finance, International Review of Finance Ltd., vol. 2(1&2), pages 1-19.
- Beck, Thorsten & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Levine, Ross, 2003.
"Bank concentration and crises,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3041, The World Bank.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Huizinga, Harry, 2000. "Financial structure and bank profitability," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2430, The World Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:168. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.